View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 .ini tweaking doesn't work properly 

Post .ini tweaking doesn't work properly
Ignorance, you are a wonderful person. This is a good project and you should feel good for making it. Based from the things I've seen in your videos, you made a better Tribes game than Hi-Rez could ever do.

Unfortunately, I can't really test it properly. I'm running on a quite old and outdated machine(that should still run the game at a playable framerate at native resolution, at least according to my framerate tests I did in UT3) and the default settings make the game run at 10-20 fps. I tried tweaking the .ini(I got used to doing it for Ascend), but I had only limited success. Only a few settings actually worked, the rest just weren't responsive.

The settings that worked are: Fullscreen, DynamicLights(turns out the default map doesn't use static lights or is just bugged)

The rest that didn't work: Ambient Occlusion, Depth of Field, Motion Blur, Bloom and Resolution. There are some that I'm not quite sure that worked because I don't know if the map used decals or not.

Also, I've run into a peculiar lighting issue; everything seems to flicker about once per several seconds. I suspect this may be my graphics card getting nuked by all those advanced options.

My rig's specs are the following:
Core2Duo E6550
Powercolor Radeon 2600 PRO
2 gigs of DDR2 RAM(on Vista)
Native res is 1280x1024

Can I even expect a good(30-50) framerate on my native res even if .ini tweaking worked?

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:57 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: .ini tweaking doesn't work properly
I'm assuming your playing the latest release of Project Free Fall.

On the current map, what's probably killing your performance is the fog. Two things are working against you, the fog on the map isn't the simple fog, and fog isn't really the cheapest operation. If your looking through the ini's for settings, I suggest searching for fog related settings.

As for the Ambient Occlusion, Depth of Field, Motion Blur, Bloom and Resolution, PFF does not use Ambient Occlusion, or Depth of Field. There is some motion blur(just the stock that came with UDK), and you should be able to tweak it in the ini. The resolution should be changeable, along with bloom. I'm not sure how your altering the ini files, but remember that there are two config files no matter what. The default config files probably should be the ones you should modify. After tweaking, make sure to delete the none default ini files. Once you start the game, the new ini's will be made using the now changed defaults. Hopefully that helps matters.

If you can disable fog, I'm pretty confident you should more than double your framerate. Before diving into the ini files, you might try downloading the first PFF tech demo; that map had no fog, and should pretty well test the theory that the fog is the problem.

Here's a link to the version I'm talking about.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21441535/Project_Free_Fall_2012_03_17___1_Demo_Update_exe

If the fog isn't the problem, I'm probably not the person that should hand out advice on ini tweaking; the UDK ini's contain a huge amount of settings, a lot of them interconnected through legacy updates.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Ignorance wrote:
On the current map, what's probably killing your performance is the fog. Two things are working against you, the fog on the map isn't the simple fog, and fog isn't really the cheapest operation. If your looking through the ini's for settings, I suggest searching for fog related settings.

That's doubtful. I just tried all the fog variants (no fog, too) and none of them have a significant hit on the performance.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Found that fog takes ~30 fps off my gpu; just my own experience. It also depends on how your viewing the fog. If your looking off into an infinite void, fog is cheap. If your looking from one side a map to another, through fog, it's far more expensive.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Yep, my benchmark was looking from one side to the other. Also fog should actually benefit framerates because polys that arent visible through the fog doesnt get rendered and the fog material is extremely cheap.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Turns out I was merely editing the wrong .ini file :oops:

I can't find where to turn of the fog, but I've managed to confirm your suspicions regarding fog impacting performance. My performance greatly increases if the horizon isn't in my field of view.

Also, is there a way to adjust the field of view angle? It's really disorientating to play and gauge distances on 90 after I got used to 120.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:56 pm

FOV settings are found in the key bindings file.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:02 am

Only a few settings actually worked, the rest just weren't responsive.
viva9988

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:49 am

Yea, the ini files are a bit weird while working with the editor. I can only vouch for the variables I've added in. For the engine ini variables sometimes changes work, other times they don't.

What are you trying to alter?

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]