View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Talking about jetpacks... 

Post Re: Talking about jetpacks...
I see SdU as a visual thing, but yeah the terrain/water formation is up to you

Last edited by Wenz on Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:27 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

Do know of that place, that's where a couple of my gallery images come from.

Mixing flats with dunes and oases can make for a great map. The gorge map I've been working on, will have some of those flats, but they will be found in smaller amounts(probably).

Unfortunately I don't think dynamic water is possible in UDK without a source license. Everything will have to be faked. Tides are easy to simulate, but things like whirlpools and waves would be very interesting to implement. A wave probably would be easier than a whirlpool just because a wave can sit on top of a water volume. Whirlpools could probably be done well if they didn't move.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:35 pm

I have a hard time imagining something even remotely viable with such complex water behavior, especially on a multiplayer shooter, on current gen engines. When I mention functional water, I just refer to the basic behaviour I mentioned before, higher friction and lowered gravity under water, skipping along surface possible, as well as gliding, depending on your speed, and a surface tension that hurts and slows the player down when entering the water based on his speed, or whatever variation you deem the best.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:48 pm

btw, i heard about an underwater stealth game called Depth and now i wonder if that kind of thing might work in your underwater map. A night version of the map may need nightvision and some underwater map design. Sounds like too much work for little gain though.

Here's a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKtaRhwrqI0&feature=plcp

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:30 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

That's pretty fucking cool I have to admit.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3