View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 DM_Oyster 

Post Re: DM_Oyster
Played around a bit more. The problem I can see is that with the weak jets we have (not a bad thing, just affects this situation), you'll be completely out of energy most of the time when trying to exit the shell, leaving very little room for manouvering to the next one. If you have a solid idea of the layout planned out and ready, you could perhaps improve upon this by slightly distorting the smooth edge of the shell to have minor bumps in it to redirect the player towards the secondary platforms. If you're slow, getting out from the center of the shell is difficult as well, but I notice that if you start from the edge of the shell, it's not really such a problem as I thought it was.

Yes, I do notice the bumpy geometry when skiing.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:30 pm

I don't have a definite layout in mind, but I'm sure players will never get to spawn on the main shell, only on the outer ones, that should take care of a lot of speed issues, and yes when I get a good idea of what goes where, the shell will lose this "perfect appearance" and have bumps/"ramps" to aid going in one direction or another.

The poly density and feedback while skiing is a pernacious problem as adding density "but just a tad" is a lot process, I'd be curious to know if there is a way, codewise, to make the "bumps" less noticeable?

@ignorance

If thats not possible then I'll up the density until skiins doesnt feel like you're on pebbles.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:42 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

The bumps will always be visually noticeable, but I can do a bit to make skiing less twitchy. I've been revisiting the movement code lately anyhow, so I'll give some feedback for the map once that's done.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Ignorance wrote:
The bumps will always be visually noticeable, but I can do a bit to make skiing less twitchy. I've been revisiting the movement code lately anyhow, so I'll give some feedback for the map once that's done.

I didnt mean visually, I mean since the ski code was changed, the surfaces feel more bumpy/clunky (it feels as though its low-poly)

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:07 am
Project Free Fall Developer

Yea, I know what you meant, and the code changes will mitigate the problem a bit. There always will be a limit to how low poly something can expect to be, but at the moment things have to be pretty ridiculously smooth to actually feel smooth.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6