View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 DM_Oyster 

Post Re: DM_Oyster
Ignorance wrote:
That image right there looks great. Rather that the ripples looking small, oyster ripples tend to continue past the center of the shell; that's what looks a little odd to me.

A great deal of work went trough removing the from the middle of the shell, I didnt want players that wanted to go from one side to the other to get all kinds of small annoying bumps, the "middle part" will be mostly flat, making it ridged again is not a problem however.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:58 pm

update, playable soon

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Uploaded, links on 1st page updated:

Shell is 20% bigger compared to previous screenshots
I'm aware of very odd shading around the pearl - its normal (messy, dirty job boolean geometry there)

Feedback is always welcome

Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:28 pm

Is it UVmapped? If not, thats the reason why the shadows look slightly odd. The shape seems pretty cool nonetheless.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:40 am

yankee wrote:
Is it UVmapped? If not, thats the reason why the shadows look slightly odd. The shape seems pretty cool nonetheless.

It is UV mapped, but I've done a quick n dirty boolean subtraction on the shell, without "curing the wound", so where your eyes can't see, its a mess of unbound verticles and edges, its just a visual thing.

The shadows looked good before I calculated lighting with production quality, oddly enough :|

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:14 am
Project Free Fall Developer

You might just build the lighting without production quality if it looks better. It definitely looks cool, too bad we don't have a beach setting to put the shell in(thinking that everything would be huge so that the player feels miniature).

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:04 am

Well, I guess your lightmap resolution is 32x32 then.
IIRC the ue3 uses vertex lighting instead of lightmapping if the lighting isnt build yet, thats why it looks rather good initially but dull after building the light.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:29 am

Ignorance wrote:
You might just build the lighting without production quality if it looks better. It definitely looks cool, too bad we don't have a beach setting to put the shell in(thinking that everything would be huge so that the player feels miniature).

Nah don't want a beach setting, would much rather have these things float in the abyss, deep dark blue below, bright blue in the sky (sky will be moving water rather than moving clouds, hopefully).

if you can play around with it, and let me know how the shape / scale feels to play (and hows the new pearl entrance), that'd be really helpful, I'm basically flying blind now

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:44 am

Played around with the latest version a bit and my only concern is with how difficult it seems to be to get up and away from the main platform. Since additional platforms are in the plans, how are you planning on solving this? Lower gravity would be the obvious easy route, just don't know how that would affect things.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:32 pm

DejZant wrote:
Played around with the latest version a bit and my only concern is with how difficult it seems to be to get up and away from the main platform. Since additional platforms are in the plans, how are you planning on solving this? Lower gravity would be the obvious easy route, just don't know how that would affect things.

You mean from a deadstop at the pearl, to get out of the main shell? If thats so, yes it is rather annoying and you're forced to "build up speed" in the rippled walls of the shell, Im inclined to leave it as is as believe ignorance is ok with making something like a jump-pack (which would largely solve the problem without altering gravity).

If the problem is the scale of the shell, or the curvature of the walls, those are all things I can change (the pearl itself will be encased in the "floor" so as to make a C shape, that means that you can use that one to build speed as a "omnidirectional ramp" in the middle of the map, I'd rather do that than alter gravity (for now).

The new ski code makes "low res geometry" feel a lot more bumpy, did you notice bumpyness (expecially inside the pearl)? The feeling that you can feel the polygons (you can press F1 a bunch of times to go in wireframe mode).

Once I sort out the main shell, and once I sort out the acceleration problem, and once I sort out just how many polys - what kind of poly density to shoot for, then I'll work on side platforms.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next