View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 DM_Oyster 

Post Re: DM_Oyster
I was referring to just making those ripples a bit more pronounced. Not changing anything else. (was this implemented in a method more time consuming than using the regular landscape editing in UDK? Because if not, that should be a relatively minor change) From those screenshots it's hard to tell how it'd be to ski on though, so I can't exactly provide more exact judgement. (assuming this is not the same version you have released)

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:35 pm

DejZant wrote:
I was referring to just making those ripples a bit more pronounced. Not changing anything else. (was this implemented in a method more time consuming than using the regular landscape editing in UDK? Because if not, that should be a relatively minor change) From those screenshots it's hard to tell how it'd be to ski on though, so I can't exactly provide more exact judgement. (assuming this is not the same version you have released)

Well, the one you skiied on, was relatively simple (besides, I just had to make 1/4 of it, and then mirror), this one is only halfway symmetrical (so I need to make half of it), and the ripples are fairly complex, the whole map is slanted 2 ways too, its complicated to explain because its complicated :lol:
Oh an this isnt done via UDK terrain editing, its 3d modeling by hand, poly per poly, edge by edge, vertex by vertex

I'll make a "test drive" version and release it asap, the ripples are giving me hell :evil:

Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:49 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

You actually could use the landscape system for the shells. With the landscape system you can delete portions of the mesh to get the general shape you want. Manipulating the ripples at that point just becomes like any terrain editing operation.

Just something to think of; it probably would simplify the editing process quite a bit.

Also, symmetry matters little on a map when the intended game type lacks a static objective. You might consider exploring a bit of asymmetry.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:39 pm

Thought of that as well, but it won't work because if you fall down you'll be able to see through the bottom of the terrain because its not 2-sided.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Just have to have a bottom.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Ignorance wrote:
You actually could use the landscape system for the shells. With the landscape system you can delete portions of the mesh to get the general shape you want. Manipulating the ripples at that point just becomes like any terrain editing operation.

Just something to think of; it probably would simplify the editing process quite a bit.

Also, symmetry matters little on a map when the intended game type lacks a static objective. You might consider exploring a bit of asymmetry.

Well, I'm more used to modeling than to using the landscape system, besides I'm pretty anal when it comes to 3d.
The map is intended to be TDM primarily (two teams spawn on either sides of a symmetrical map), but "hold the pearl" mode could be interesting aswell.

Besides, even 1 degree of symmetry saves you 50% of the work

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Ignorance wrote:
Just have to have a bottom.

Nah, it's a terrible idea. It'll double the polys of a normal landscape + you won't get proper edges of the oyster.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:31 pm

It is double the polys, but understand that none of them would be rendered at all while in the shell. If we really were going for an oyster look, it would need a bottom anyhow; seeing that the inside of a shell is not the same as the outside.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:40 pm

The Oysters will have their shell, however thanks to low poly, smoothing groups, and fantastic normal mapping, they can look quite great for a low poly cost (if thats the problem, I lack the expertise with terraforming to make the shells to look as good as I want them to be, the same can be said for texturing them, etc.).

NVIDIA normal mapping plugin
http://developer.nvidia.com/content/nvi ... -photoshop

Tutorial on normal mapping (from a hirez guy, no less!)
http://cgtextures.com/content.php?actio ... =normalmap

Anyways- quick update, its looking hilariously smooth, ripples are a bit too small compared to ref images, gonna fix that

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:47 pm

That image right there looks great. Rather that the ripples looking small, oyster ripples tend to continue past the center of the shell; that's what looks a little odd to me.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next