View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 DM_Oyster 

Post DM_Oyster
Map Download link place this inside UDKGame/Content/Maps
http://www.mediafire.com/?nityo8lly66eri5

Mesh Package Download link overwrite the one in UDKGame/Content/FFgame/Meshes
http://www.mediafire.com/?qtmrl26tnojstjt

You need both files to play the map, and you need at least UDK from july (07-2012)

This is something I've been working on in the last few days, and I'd like to get some feedback on it, expecially the feasibility of a different friction value for the inner pearl, I wanted to attach the platforms layout but as it turns out, its a task much more daunting than I had imagined, so that'll come later.

Last edited by 80cm on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:27 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: DM_Oyster
Best map name ever?

Otherwise, having convex platforms is a good idea. It would allow for skiing and, because they are still platforms(which I expect would be reasonably small), would force players to have good control over the jetpack.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:26 pm

I'm hoping you'll implement a very dense, dark "fog" in the map to further develop the mood of the watery theme. Low visibility sounds interesting in a terrainless map with platforms (oysters) if you can only see an oyster or two away. It would also force you to rely on your hearing more, as you can't see enemy players from too far away. If background noise isn't too difficult to implement, a soothing but eery underwater noise would also suit the map well.

I love the map name, keep it that way.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:35 pm

@ignorance
yes thats the idea, however if I want to keep things "small" (but the pearl relatively large, and freely skiiable), I'm going to need to know if its possible to lower ski friction only within it, otherwise players need way too much speed to ski in it, or the pearl will be way too small to be enjoyable.

@dejzant
I haven't thought about the fog at all, the map itself is going to be fairly small (think about T:A DM ones, about 2 times bigger maybe?), there wont be more than, say, a total of 9 platforms (1 big main one, 8 around).
Its a noble idea however and altough I don't like fog myself we can give it a try.

Anything else platform layout wise? smaller+more platforms, or fewer but bigger?

right now I've got something like this (forgive me for crudely making it in paint)
(yes if you see the pearl size in my image and see the image below you'll see this map as MASSIVE, just know that the pearl in the following drawing is supposed to be bigger and take more space, and the oysters all around it are going to be smaller, and not all in the same "plane" (outer=higher, main platform=lowest).

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:33 pm

At the moment there is no way to alter ski friction outside altering the code. It shouldn't be too much a problem though. Ski friction really only comes into play at the very high speeds.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:41 pm

Oh, the pearl will be hollow?

I imagine if the material for the oyster and pearl is done right it can look really awesome.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:45 pm

Ignorance wrote:
At the moment there is no way to alter ski friction outside altering the code. It shouldn't be too much a problem though. Ski friction really only comes into play at the very high speeds.

Hm, what about having a spherical gravity volume inside it, would it help making players "more frictionless" (what I mean to say is that less speed is required to clear the loop of the sphere compared to normal circumstances)

@yankee
Yeah, I don't know exactly what material, honestly I'm clueless when it comes to UDK materials, but thats way past my worries, 1st I want to make the main platform with the pearl, and see if its actually fun to ski in it.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:22 pm

@80cm
You can totally make a sphere shaped gravity volume inside the pearl; it would do exactly what your thinking if it had less gravity than normal. When you do make the second volume, make sure you make it after the world gravity volume, as I believe the last made volume takes priority when an object's gravity is determined.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:43 am

Ignorance wrote:
@80cm
You can totally make a sphere shaped gravity volume inside the pearl

But that would indirectly change projectile behaviour too, wouldnt it?

Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Not at the moment(since no projectiles account for gravity right now).

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next