View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:47 pm



Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 CTF vs TDM&DM 
Author Message
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:32 pm
Posts: 182
Post CTF vs TDM&DM
So we need maps, and at least 3 of them is what I think would suffice.

One is going to be CTF, its going to be medium-large, its going to be terrain+static meshes (bases with the flag, some iconic landmark buildings scattered here and there), it needs to be well done (symmetrical, well thought etc.).

Two are going to be DM and TDM, on the small side (only thing that changes is group spawns on either sides of the map VS randomed for TDM/DM), since terrain maps are actually scary to manage and develope, I'd much rather have both of these maps consist almost entirely of "floating platforms" (not one "mono platform" like T:A, but not even a large platform with very small "jumpers" like Q3, I'm talking a more balanced approach), which would be made mostly out of static meshes

Thoughts?


Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:39 pm
Profile
Project Free Fall Developer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:57 pm
Posts: 780
Location: San Francisco, CA
Post Re: CTF vs TDM&DM
One of the DM maps needs to be close quarters a la Quake or Unreal Tournament.

As for the others, having an open CTF map and platform DM map makes sense.

_________________
"Not every idea your gonna have is gonna be great, but I guarentee you every idea that doesnt work will somehow work into the idea that does." -Derek Waters

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...


Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:56 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:32 pm
Posts: 182
Post Re: CTF vs TDM&DM
Ignorance wrote:
One of the DM maps needs to be close quarters a la Quake or Unreal Tournament.


If you want close quarters the gravity needs to be a lot higher, its too floaty right now.
or have you considered running CQC gametypes with no jetpack at all (which would be fairly interesting on its own accord)?


Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:17 pm
Profile
Project Free Fall Developer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:57 pm
Posts: 780
Location: San Francisco, CA
Post Re: CTF vs TDM&DM
Both would be interesting. I was thinking of tweaking the burn time for the jetpack.

A gametype that disables the jetpack could be interesting, especially if air control and carving was tweaked and the maps were setup like skateparks.

_________________
"Not every idea your gonna have is gonna be great, but I guarentee you every idea that doesnt work will somehow work into the idea that does." -Derek Waters

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...


Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:45 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:17 am
Posts: 91
Post Re: CTF vs TDM&DM
Does anything speak against using my snow map as the CTF map?
I think the terrain suits the skiing mechanics quite well.

The problem with the floating platforms is in my opinion that it usually doesn't allow a lot of skiing because you usually can't gain a lot of speed.


Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:38 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:32 pm
Posts: 182
Post Re: CTF vs TDM&DM
yankee wrote:
Does anything speak against using my snow map as the CTF map?
I think the terrain suits the skiing mechanics quite well.

The problem with the floating platforms is in my opinion that it usually doesn't allow a lot of skiing because you usually can't gain a lot of speed.


I don't like any of the assets in your map, they just make me mad :o
Too generic! Sinner! I suggest you try to stray from your <generic_futuristic> and really try to reach out to something else, go wild! Thats to say on the paper, sketch sketch sketch, when you have something that you consider worth modeling, fire up the pc and make it happen

Harsh feedback? its the only good feedback, I urge you to do the same :P

Terrain wise, I can't recall it much (unless its the one in the PFF we have right now?), suffice to say that to me a CTF map for a game like this needs to be symmetrical (I assume UDK allows for this), and very well thought out, and for that we probably need to go trough many, many iterations, I mean, I see TDM/DM coming before a proper CTF map, also due to player numbers.

A good start would be defining a proper size of terrain, for a player # estimate, and we go from there (its a long winded way to say.. you may have to do another terrain altogether, but the one you've done so far, if you want to continue it, is certainly playable)

@ignorance
I don't like the idea of "skateboard-energyless carving", just because it would make the game feel really slow imo, I'd rather just have traditional matches "on foot" first and see how they pan out.


Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:10 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:17 am
Posts: 91
Post Re: CTF vs TDM&DM
80cm wrote:
I don't like any of the assets in your map, they just make me mad :o
Too generic! Sinner! I suggest you try to stray from your <generic_futuristic> and really try to reach out to something else, go wild! Thats to say on the paper, sketch sketch sketch, when you have something that you consider worth modeling, fire up the pc and make it happen

Harsh feedback? its the only good feedback, I urge you to do the same :P


Haha, no problem, mate. ;)
Well, I actually came to the same conclusion when thinking about it today. That was one of the reasons why I wanted to push that discussion about the art style because if we narrowed down the direction it would be way easier to go for something specific.



80cm wrote:
Terrain wise, I can't recall it much (unless its the one in the PFF we have right now?), suffice to say that to me a CTF map for a game like this needs to be symmetrical (I assume UDK allows for this), and very well thought out, and for that we probably need to go trough many, many iterations, I mean, I see TDM/DM coming before a proper CTF map, also due to player numbers.

A good start would be defining a proper size of terrain, for a player # estimate, and we go from there (its a long winded way to say.. you may have to do another terrain altogether, but the one you've done so far, if you want to continue it, is certainly playable)

Yes, it's the same terrain we have in PFF already and it is symmetrical. UDK doesn't really have a feature for this, so I think the only way is to create a heightmap and mirror it along some axis. I definitely agree that it might need several iterations to really iron out some great gameplay but we'd really need the basic features implemented to start some proper, regular playtesting to test the maps.


Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:47 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:32 pm
Posts: 182
Post Re: CTF vs TDM&DM
yankee wrote:
if we narrowed down the direction it would be way easier to go for something specific.


Well, look at it this way, there is no "artstyle" for PFF globally (weapons, huds etc), so map assets can be anything you want, maps can be unique between themselves and the game artstyle, so if you think your map has to look a certain way with your own structures, you can do it.

yankee wrote:
Yes, it's the same terrain we have in PFF already


Alright, the map feels too large but its smooth to ski, the OOB (green and red) grids become visible too late, the lack of morphological or structural hallmarks (plains, big hills, massive towers like katabatic etc) make navigating the map with no minimap nor icons hard, I'm basically lost all the time.

Since making a minimap is most likely pure nightmare, having a large icon on the enemy and your own flag would help immensely.
Ignorance pls :cry:


Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:34 pm
Profile
Project Free Fall Developer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:57 pm
Posts: 780
Location: San Francisco, CA
Post Re: CTF vs TDM&DM
80cm wrote:
Since making a minimap is most likely pure nightmare, having a large icon on the enemy and your own flag would help immensely.
Ignorance pls

Actually, the UDK hud comes with a minimap built in. I disabled the code because it took up a bunch of the screen. Expect to see the minimap's return with the settings menus. I plan to allow it to be always on, always off, or toggle-able. There will also be a full screen map eventually, but it will require actual coding.

_________________
"Not every idea your gonna have is gonna be great, but I guarentee you every idea that doesnt work will somehow work into the idea that does." -Derek Waters

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...


Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:21 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:32 pm
Posts: 182
Post Re: CTF vs TDM&DM
Ignorance wrote:
80cm wrote:
Since making a minimap is most likely pure nightmare, having a large icon on the enemy and your own flag would help immensely.
Ignorance pls

Actually, the UDK hud comes with a minimap built in. I disabled the code because it took up a bunch of the screen. Expect to see the minimap's return with the settings menus. I plan to allow it to be always on, always off, or toggle-able. There will also be a full screen map eventually, but it will require actual coding.


Toggle on-off & toggle on-press would be enough.

But will the OOB show up in the minimap? and how can you have a minimap without a premade "top view" image? does UDK do that on its own?


Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:39 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.