View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Gorge 
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Gorge
A map I'll be working on whenever I don't feel like programming. Here are a couple initial screen shots...

The map is planned to be team based and will require players to navigate a gorge to reach the enemy base. My hope is to explore the potential for close quarters high speed combat in Project Free Fall.

The plethora of vertical surfaces showcases well what can be done with the current carving system. As players explore the map, they will find that the carving system allows players to slow their fall and even climb if enough speed is had. Jumps are another thing that gets pulled to the foreground as players will almost always have a nearby surface to push off.

The map is very much in the early stages, and I don't expect it to appear in the next update as I have yet to decide exactly how I'm going to construct it.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:25 am

Post Re: Gorge
Looks like it requieres much more awareness compared to other maps and i like it. Do you think 90 degrees carving with hoverboards might have some room in your testing for close quarter combat? Might be very unnecessary but snowboarders look pretty cool at doing it before falling into a cliff:P

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:53 am

I'd guess that to make a player actually use the gorge rather than use a hill and fly above the whole thing alltogether, the walls would have to be really high, and the gorge slightly wider and with more "curves", so that players can throw themselves from left to right reliably at fast speeds, and the walls could be "semisphere" shaped so to speak, so that a player can travel from a high concave to a low concave diagonally and so on, it would make it really dynamic but there is still the risk that players would just shoot trough it in a straight line, if the gorge is too "thin" (which looks like it by your images), I dont think people could ski really fast in it, if at all.

This could be easily done by making the walls very high, and the "bottom" surface really cluky and non-skiiable, so the player either manages to sky trough the gorge at fast speeds, or has to almost go at run pace on the bottom, but this might make it too much of a "skill wall", so you couldnt make this area "a must use", but perhaps a shortcut between 2 bases that good players would learn to use, with a longer, cleaner route for the less experienced.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:34 am

The idea is definitely interesting and reminds me a bit of the pod racer scene in starwars episode1.
One problem that just popped into my mind is, that you probably need a lot of initial speed before you get into the crevice because I can't really see how you could get any speed when inside. For the rest it's pretty much what 80cm said.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:52 am

i also had these kind of gorge-maps in mind but with a greater spacing between the walls of the gorge and some narrow caves.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:30 am

RompeR wrote:
i also had these kind of gorge-maps in mind but with a greater spacing between the walls of the gorge and some narrow caves.

now that you mention it, maybe one is forced to wallride/carving those walls because of the little space or else you fall deep in the right side of the bottom pic. Side caves sound good to me if one wants to get some initial speed. But the gorge wouldn't be about close quarter combat anymore.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:18 am

@80cm
This the images are works in progress; as I said, I've been experimenting with how I actually want to go about building the walls; the two images represent more an idea. I plan to force players into the gorge by using water and impractically high walls. There will my multiple entrances along with forks that connect the different routes. Routes that are more direct will likely require more skill to navigate while less direct routes will, in general, be more open and friendly towards those that might not be familiar with the movement system.

@yankee
That podracing scene has been the long running inspiration for this map along with the HL2 Lost Coast cliff scene. The map will likely also incorporate some cave sections and structures built into the cliffs; some routes will likely close into or open out of cave sections, and the structures will likely provide routes, spawn weapons, and maybe be used for capturing assets; assets(such as turrets) aren't in game yet, but down the road it would be neat to lock down a route or two with chaotic neutral, capturable, turrets.

@RompeR & Wenz
Spacing will open and close according to flow; if it feels right, it is right. I already foresee some amphitheaters existing on the canyon floors and walls just because they will likely make sense in some areas.

@Wenz
Orientating the player's avatar to look as if they are wall riding is something I'd like to do, but is not in game yet.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Ignorance wrote:
@80cm
This the images are works in progress; as I said, I've been experimenting with how I actually want to go about building the walls; the two images represent more an idea. I plan to force players into the gorge by using water and impractically high walls. There will my multiple entrances along with forks that connect the different routes. Routes that are more direct will likely require more skill to navigate while less direct routes will, in general, be more open and friendly towards those that might not be familiar with the movement system.

Oh I get it, say the more direct routes will have a high level of water, meaning you really get slowed down big time, while longer routes will have "lower levels of water", meaning some areas of the river bed will be skiiable to a degree, making it much easier to navigate.

Thats more elegant than clunky terrain I admit :lol:

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Now you just have to keep in mind to make the Battlesuit waterproof. It would be unlucky if you just drown like in T:A :D

Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:59 am

Especially since I plan to have an underwater cave or two...

Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next