View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 games you are playing/ looking forward to 
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: games you are playing/ looking forward to
@RompeR
I don't hope that the f2p scene dies, I just hope that the asshole companies that are in it for a money grab stop with their shenanigans. Free to play, if implemented correctly, can allow a dev to more concretely justify supporting a game for a decade. The problem with most companies, that are going free to play, is that these companies are still thinking of the extreme short term. A company that just releases a pay to win item shop is the same kind of company that would force it's consumers to buy 5 shitty DLCs to continue playing their mediocre fps online(I'm looking at you EA).

The more I think of the best way to do f2p, the more I'm convinced that the easiest method might be to charge a small upfront fee, then, if a long term community sprouts up, think of implementing a f2p model that is aimed at making the game viable in the long term. Aiming for short term profit with a f2p model will almost always alienate players. Instead of players feeling that they want to pay for something, the players can very easily fell forced to pay; it's an unhealthy relationship for a community to have with the devs. When an initial fee is charged, as long as the dev is truthful about their game, or better yet releases a demo for play, rarely will players feel cheated; they might not like the game or might get board with it, but normally they will at least agree that they wanted to buy it.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:47 pm

Ignorance wrote:
@RompeR

The more I think of the best way to do f2p, the more I'm convinced that the easiest method might be to charge a small upfront fee, then, if a long term community sprouts up, think of implementing a f2p model that is aimed at making the game viable in the long term.

I wouldn't complain about it but on the other hand the community may not like to see their game going f2p (especially after the bad adv with TF2). Also i see f2p games are getting more action oriented every year but if all unannounced titles are going to be condemned to stay as generic dumbed down games (like WarFrame and WarFace), indie games like PFF might turn out to be the only good games.

edit-had to correct my post twice...

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:15 pm

played dishonored for a bit. It's supposed to be a stealth game but the combat engine is a modified version of the dark messiah one so Corvo can be pretty good when it comes to brute force. Fighting feels like playing a simplified version of the assassin/wizard build from dark messiah. And that is good to me since i played DM to death...here's a little stunt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNk96Dse9m8

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Looks pretty slick, but with a combat system like that, I really don't see why anyone would bother with stealth outside of pure desire to do so.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:21 pm

well i played it for a couple of hours and i can tell this game is going to make murderers feel like shit. I personally don't care about the story as much as mechanics so i don't have any problems with being tagged as a cruel bastard. I' ve been waiting for this game since The Crossing was announced in 2005 and then turned into Dishonored after arkane failed developing an half life episode so i don't care. To answer your question, sometimes i found myself depleting my mana so i had to use piero's potions. Which are not infinite

Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:35 pm

thinking about dark messiah, maybe i shall reinstall it and have a blast with both games...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vBAowug ... re=related

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:45 pm

future mmos are promising.....because of World of Darkness, neocron 3 and maybe this one.
http://gamingbolt.com/stars-of-barathru ... t-art-leak

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:29 pm

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=roberts_space_industries_gdc_panel20121010

Star Citizen sounds right up my alley. Freelancer meets Eve sounds like a match made in heaven.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:04 pm

i remember me playing freelancer....and eve online was my favourite mmorpg...and last month Homeworld 2: Complex mod 8 series went in the ModDB Hall Of Fame....without mentioning Nexus 2 on kickstarter, which may fail...too many good space games.

edit
The rumors about Valve's SOB are apparently false. This looks like the original art album from seven months ago. Time will tell
http://imgur.com/a/AiCRE#0

edit 2
btw, i was wrong about dishonored. Because of powers this game is easy even at very hard difficulty. It doesn't really matter if you take a stealth approach or a rambo one, even the endings are similar (the low chaos one is a little better). The only hard way is the nonlethal one but differently from deus ex games dishonored action is good while the story is so-so. Also going nonlethal involves a lot of of quicksaving and quickloading so it may feel like cheating if used to explore. But the cool thing about this game finding paths and sneaking through them. Doing parkour in this game is fun.

one more taste of dishonored combat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do6l7Fvx ... el&list=UL

Last edited by Wenz on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:40 pm

medieval "first person slasher" done with a $80k budget
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2it-yFWeS0

ah, it was on kickstarter.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/171 ... al-warfare

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next