View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Map feedback 

Post Re: Map feedback
One huge hotspot for the phenomenon is at the spawn in the map. Try and ski there and you'll meet dozens of these spots. I find this odd because the geometry in the editor doesn't look like there's anything special going on with it, it's simple and follows the same pattern as all other terrain.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks for the pic. I'll have a look at it.

Tried around with a fading out of bounds-shader. That's the result for now:

http://roladder.net/~norman/oob.png
(screenshot made in editor)

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:10 pm

That looks nice. That gives such a big and menacing look like that sort of barrier should. (Unlike the tribes OOB grid that makes you think it's just some light fence put there for show) I think you should stick with the green inner OOB (can be passed through) and the red outer one (can't be passed through) once you're implementing them to their final state.

How tall does it extend? Ideally it should be tall enough for the top of it to never be visible.

You might want to share how you did it in detail at some point so other people who are interested in mapping (including me) can use the same grid to create better cohesion between the maps from different mappers.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:22 pm

yankee wrote:
Thanks for the pic. I'll have a look at it.

Tried around with a fading out of bounds-shader. That's the result for now:

http://roladder.net/~norman/oob.png
(screenshot made in editor)

may be OT but i was wondering if being forced back from maps limits might help in some new maps. Or in some case to get an instant speed boost. It's something i've found in a game called Overgrowth.

alright, here is something better than my english. It's about a forcefield pushing players back in the opposite direction at 2:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Bc3Ifo ... el&list=UL

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:25 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

speedup wrote:
may be OT but i was wondering if being forced back from maps limits might help in some new maps. Or in some case to get an instant speed boost. It's something i've found in a game called Overgrowth.

Not something I'm a fan of; it would turn the map boundary into a required route mechanic. There should be penalty for not properly controlling the character. Whether or not a player should take damage when hitting the oob grid is up for question, but if the boundary does block, the player should at least lose their velocity.

I'm still not sure that a oob blocking volume really needs to be in place. If the player receives visual indication that they are approaching the edge of the map, and they fail to heed the warning, why should the game force-ably prevent them from going off the map to their death?

One argument has been immersion; if a player is able to run off the edge, then it may break the idea that they are fighting on a planet. However, mechanically, blocking players doesn't mean anything either way; its a choice between saving a player from themselves, or allowing them to learn from death.

I don't really have much an opinion either way, but it would be nice to explore a new approach before falling into what is normal.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:48 am

thinking about it the forcefield may be useless if i can get some speed causing some explosion on the "wall". I wonder if i can get a mid air explosion anytime. I had some hopes for the Jackal in T:A but it didn't work that well. It's something that works in Legions though.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:49 am

about the grid.

how about beeing able to move outside the grid at normal speed for a set amount of time, so you will still be able to use the terrain. After 20secs(or whatever you set it to.) your speed will be reduced.

but best way is probably just to give them an indication that they are OOB

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:51 am

DejZant wrote:
How tall does it extend? Ideally it should be tall enough for the top of it to never be visible.

You might want to share how you did it in detail at some point so other people who are interested in mapping (including me) can use the same grid to create better cohesion between the maps from different mappers.

Atm it's around 65k UUs in height but it's no big deal to scale it properly.

Yeah, of course. I'd like to upload the map maybe in 14-days iteration steps so the material will be included in the next version for sure.

@Romper
I don't really like that idea tbh. My idea of the OOB area is like as a O or D player you don't really want to go OOB because there won't be much action going on but as a capper you have way more space to try out fancy routes with a stupidly long setup times and which are maybe very hidden. The problem for my team in T:A wasn't really that the capper was too slow or anything but especially on maps like XF it was very hard for him because he couldnt go OOB so he was visible for most of the times. With some obscured, long setup time routes from OOB this issue should be fixed imo.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm against any needless game mechanics revolving around the OOB grid to be honest. I like the idea of inner and outer OOB grid, inner being for show and the outer either a simple block or kill on touch (hey, it's a forcefield so it'd make sense). If any additional OOB mechanics were implemented, I'd not suggest going farther than limiting deployable use and such outside the inner grid.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:52 pm

DejZant wrote:
The odd structure also needs to be improved upon a bit. I have no idea what it's supposed to be, but it could either change size or you could add some small additional structures besides it, like the two towers you currently have there.

Tried around to improve my modeling skills a bit and thats the result for the "odd structure" for now. It doesn't really have a proper texture but it looks better than the blue-white checker. Anyway, if you have any ideas about the style or whatever feedback is very welcome.

http://roladder.net/~norman/testbase.png

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next