View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Map feedback 

Post Re: Map feedback
Shape wise, that looks good. I don't particularly like the texture on it (clashes with the rest of the map due to the cartoony style) though. If there is a rough concrete texture available, the foundation of the building and the pillars on top would probably look better with that. If there's any sort of rough better wall texture that isn't just pure white, use that as well.

I was meaning to ask. Trying to work out a map of my own in the editor (just out of curiosity, mostly) and i can't figure out how to delete or create objects like the ones you have in your map. I started work on my map after messing around with the one you had provided (provided an easy basis for someone who had never touched the editor before), so mine has the same structures that your map has, I just can't get rid of them. How would I go about doing that?

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:21 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VideoTutorials.html#3D%20Buzz%20Video%20Tutorials%20-%20Using%20UDK

I suggest hitting those videos, specifically the videos in the "Simple Level" download.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:24 pm

DejZant wrote:
I'm against any needless game mechanics revolving around the OOB grid to be honest. I like the idea of inner and outer OOB grid, inner being for show and the outer either a simple block or kill on touch (hey, it's a forcefield so it'd make sense). If any additional OOB mechanics were implemented, I'd not suggest going farther than limiting deployable use and such outside the inner grid.

The only OOB mechanic in the original tribes ctf was that it made you drop the flag. I think this is fairly essential for any CTF-style mods. You need the flag constrained in some way, or you could simply ski forever with it. That would be bad.

I believe in later DM modes, going oob made you take damage after a period of time (a few seconds?) Again, this is a good thing.

22:56:51 <@Arcadizz1e> when the mayans wrote about 2012 being the end
22:56:54 <@Arcadizz1e> they meant for tribes

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:26 pm
Profile WWW

DejZant wrote:
Shape wise, that looks good. I don't particularly like the texture on it (clashes with the rest of the map due to the cartoony style) though. If there is a rough concrete texture available, the foundation of the building and the pillars on top would probably look better with that. If there's any sort of rough better wall texture that isn't just pure white, use that as well.

I posted the pic mostly because of the shape and style of the building. All of the parts are static meshes with uv maps, so you can't just apply a stock texture to it without having it stretched and distorted a lot. Furthermore, my 2D skills are far away from good so it would take me a vast amount of time and the result would be still odd.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:28 pm

http://roladder.net/~norman/turbine.png

Did some decoration stuff for the map, for now it'll remain untextured because I still dont have any decent 2D skills. :/

I think the next main steps are these:

- getting the meshes done for the base
- finishing neutral base
- work on a decent landscape shader

After that's all done, I guess it'll be mostly down to creating more decoration meshes to make it more eye candy.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Triple post \o/

Alright, here's the latest progress:

http://roladder.net/~norman/1overview.png
I replaced the neutral base on the left side with some block-out brushes because it felt like the style doesn't really fit anymore. Furthermore, there's some more stuff in the middle of the map, so it's just not as empty as before.

http://roladder.net/~norman/1bridge.png
The close view to the middle from the neutral base. The texture isn't completely finished but I think it's a good start when keeping in mind I'm a total 2D noob. I will definitely add some more decorational stuff to the bridge. Maybe even some half-pipe structure or something like that.

http://roladder.net/~norman/1bunker.png
There's some kind of a bunker entrance where both ends of the bridge end. It's only for decorational purpose. It needs some better transistion from bridge to the bunker entrance and the shadowing on the vents look slightly weird. Some more lights might be added as well.

http://roladder.net/~norman/1base.png
The new meshes for the base. Imo it's way more interesting than the buildings I had before. I also made the concrete floor less steep on the edges so you shouldn't bump into it anymore. Please don't mind the textures. I just applied some UDK textures.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:59 pm

I almost think the flag should be moved inside the small tower or below the ramp at the base. Otherwise, looks good.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:20 am

Could be worth a try later on when we have regular playtesting sessions. I guess that it might be too hard though, because these pipes are ~1,5-2x the size of a playermodel so it would be way harder than the flagstand of DX.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:48 pm

Found a buggy spot on the map.

http://youtu.be/gY67opC7_sk

the base platforms need to be sunk into the terrain a bit.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Got a 404 on the test.zip. Did some guessing with the address and changed /pff-test. to /test03.zip and Im getting something now. So the link needs an update. Just thought Id mention it.
gOOse..

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next