View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Found a cool game: Hawken 
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Found a cool game: Hawken
Seeing that everyone here is a fan of gaming, I thought I'd link to a game I just found out about. It's a mech shooter called Hawken. Unlike old school mech games such as Mech Warrior, Hawken has taken an FPS approach and produced some amazing results.

Gameplay footage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEAEARD-Fo

Website
http://www.playhawken.com/

The game is due for release this December, but the gameplay already looks amazing.

On a side note, Hawken is another UDK game. UDK never stops amazing me.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:05 am

Post Re: Found a cool game: Hawken
When I was read about Hawken almost a year ago I was pretty amazed by the graphics and design which is without a doubt on AAA level. It looks damn cool and I prefer FPS games over those Mech Sims anyway.

Lately when they released a lot of ingame footage I actually changed my mind about it though. It's still probably very cool for guys who come from simulations but from the FPS perspective it seems so bloated and ponderous. There's so much clutter on the screen with uncountable HUD objects, that 3D cockpit, screenshaking (at least we're used to that :P) and thousands of effects when get hit. In my opinion that's more or less a showstopper in a non-casual fps.

Although I'll still give it a try. It'll be released this year, won't it?

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:55 am

The game does have a lot of clutter, but that's something that actually can be a bonus(a part of my brain screamed "SACRILEGE!!!" as I wrote that). Seeing that view rotation has limitations, Hawken's feel will likely be driven by restrictions rather than freedoms. If the graphics are fairly standard even at low settings, all that graphical clutter can actually be a mechanic; kinda like how Starcraft restricts the players view.

Hawken is due for release December 12th.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:34 am

Man, modern gaming. This game really tops it off in terms of color palette, all I see is gray and more gray. :p

In any case this looks interesting. Wouldn't have thought that anyone would try to do a mech shooter in this day and age. As a person who completely overplayed generic shooters and lost all interest to them, I'll definitely enjoy something not as generic in my collection.

Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:18 am

been following this game progress casually for over a year, im looking forward to trying it but i dont have any high hopes for it. Most games are bad nowdays :)

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:30 pm

Isnt hawken a free to play yada yada game in the end also?
Free to play with cash shop most likely?

I remember there was heavy spamming of that game / account creation a year ago, thats more or less when I started and stopped caring about it, there was that other FPS game that looked cool, cept it was free to play, cash shop yada yada, its all the same nowdays, bah

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:50 pm

Yep, it will be free to play, and likely will have a cash shop; maybe that will be bad, maybe it won't. Regardless, the game looks cool at least.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Just went and checked the FAQ on the playhawken forums. ( http://www.playhawken.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6 )

From what I gather from the answers to the questions regarding the business model, they will be granting access to a lot of content for free via unlock system, yet retain some (non-cosmetic)content just for people who pay for it. If that's what they're doing, it's bad. I wouldn't touch any game that restricts content that aggressively with a ten foot pole. Sounds like they followed in the footsteps of WOT.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:35 pm

beta is out btw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv5bOOg2pLE

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:53 am

Beta won't be out till december. The beta signups have been going on for a while though.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]