View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 DX 

Post DX
Hey guys,

I added the PFF stuff to my DX replica and it seems already pretty cool!

Just have a look: http://de.twitch.tv/o9kyankee/b/325967438 (sorry for the horrible quality :/ )

Scaling might be wrong for PFF physics though. X/Y axis scaling is pretty close to T2 DX and it uses the same heightmap but from first skiing test it seems that the hills might be a bit too steep and high. However, it's just a start.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Post Re: DX
Looks nice :)

22:56:51 <@Arcadizz1e> when the mayans wrote about 2012 being the end
22:56:54 <@Arcadizz1e> they meant for tribes

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:35 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah. Nice work. If we get a functional server list and easier map distribution soonish (as in, after marble skiing and the 2+ new weapons being developed), we'd get to go and have some fun on these maps. I hope those two items are high on Igorance's priority list. They're very important.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:57 pm

I like the texture. Scaling is off, as you said.

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:03 am
Project Free Fall Developer

Cool stuff. As mentioned previously, the scaling might be a bit off, but it's also worth considering that the original height map is very low resolution and as a result is quite rough. You might try upscaling the height map image in a photo program then apply a slight blur to smooth things out a bit.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:39 am

I already had to scale up the resolution in photoshop a lot and smoothed it a bit. To adjust the height it's more a matter of contrast, brightness and levels. After I got slightly more familiar with the skying and the movement in general it was quite obvious that the x/y scaling needs to be a lot bigger as well. It seems in PFF you can get much faster than in T2 because at the current scaling you can do easily base 2 base jumps in about 6-7 seconds. :D

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:00 pm

I suggested increasing the x/y scaling by about 50%. Would be nice to see what that plays like.

Just a thought... do you think HR owns the names/layouts of these maps? I guess all the old Dynamix maps, but the user-created ones? I guess not.

22:56:51 <@Arcadizz1e> when the mayans wrote about 2012 being the end
22:56:54 <@Arcadizz1e> they meant for tribes

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:27 pm
Profile WWW

HiRez definitely owns all the base maps from the Tribes series, but no, they do not own the user generated ones. However, the users that made the map may or may not claim ownership.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URjuA4XGBnc&noredirect=1
~2:10 :D

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:43 pm

Has HR mentioned that they were working on DX? Or is it just amusingly coincidental that you've been working on a DX clone while they have?

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next