View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Unreal Engine 4 is going to hit like a ton of bricks... 
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Unreal Engine 4 is going to hit like a ton of bricks...
For anyone interested in the near future of gaming, check out the 2 E3 vids that are up...

The cinematic...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OZmRt8gCsC0

The technical walkthrough...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MOvfn1p92_8

Indirect lighting, real time compiling, GPU particles, dynamic everything...so awesome

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:42 am

Post Re: Unreal Engine 4 is going to hit like a ton of bricks...
im not that into these things but graphic wise it looks good.
what about all the other parts that an engine do?

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:14 am

Dynamic everything looks to be pretty awesome. Properly dynamic indirect lighting allows for very cool level design. Making something like the game of thrones intro into a playable level would be possible.

As for things under the hood, real time compiling would be very handy; when combined with the kismet changes, hunting down and fixing bugs could become much easier. By the looks of things, unreal script is still going strong which hopefully means that PFF will port well once the tools become available.

GPU accelerated particle systems are great because complex systems like clouds and water can be simulated dynamically.

Put short, UE4 is looking to be a good step towards a dynamic environment. As an environment becomes more dynamic, it can replace more game logic. Portal is a good example of a game that is determined more by it's environment than it's game logic. Portal has been restricted largely to a static environment, but imagine Portal set in a fully dynamic world; things like level construction and deconstruction could happen in real time.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:25 pm

i'm starting to learn some c/c++ language and coding to mod, so i was giving a look to UDK game engine documentation. Given that UE4 devkit may be released in a couple years or so (i don't know), is it worth my time? I mean will the next devkit change everything?

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Epic is well known for shaking the boat as little as possible, so it's a safe bet that UE4 will be very similar to UE3 in a lot of ways; it's definitely worth getting comfy with UDK. Many have been asking the same question over on the UDK forums, and the common consensus is that a strong knowledge of UE3 will transfer very well to UE4. In the first 10 minute video Epic released that covered UE4, near the end you can see the C++ code from the Pawn class, and it's almost identical to the unrealscript UE3 version.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:51 pm

thanks.

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:13 pm

bet they loose alot of customers if they make the transition between the UEs to big....

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Not just that, the people at Epic want as little change as possible as well. Most of them have been working with various Unreal Engines over the years and they would have to adapt to radical changes as well. The Unreal Engine has been around so long it's become something of a tool just like Photoshop or Maya; so yes, like Autodesk and Adobe, Epic, I'm sure, understands that changes should only be made if needed.

I do doubt that Epic would lose many customers if some major changes were made; it would probably just result in a slower adoption time. I feel safe in saying that we're getting to a point in gaming wherein engines are becoming more relevant than the technologies they are based on(which is a good thing, a very good thing indeed); gone are the days when Microsoft's arbitrary and seemingly pointless changes to DirectX would radically effect virtually every programmer involved in the industry; even though it's been a while since MS has thrown a curve ball, it's still best to remain wary; by placing confidence in another group to make the engine, game developers can focus on making games whilst engine programmers can focus on making the engines great.

Ramble, Ramble, Ramble...

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:59 pm

btw i was wondering why you have chosen udk instead of something like the cryengine sdk to create your own game. May be a dumb question but i don't really know their differences

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:17 am

Licensing, it's popularity in the industry means a lot of talent is about, the documentation is vast and the mod community is established, and finally Epic's reliability in making transitions between engines as painless as possible.

I've considered other engines such as Unity, Torque, and even Source, but Epic is just too damn friendly and easy to use.

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next