View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Unreal Engine 4 is going to hit like a ton of bricks... 

Post Re: Unreal Engine 4 is going to hit like a ton of bricks...
What's a good way to start learning about development on UDK? What are the best guides for beginners in UDK? UDN or something else? I'm interested in learning more about it but not sure where I should start. Any recommendations?

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:18 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

The UDK forums and UDN probably are the best place to start for anyone new to the engine.

Specifically the Documentation forum is a treasure chest of tutorials.

http://forums.epicgames.com/forums/371-Documentation

I would also suggest you watch all the 3D buzz videos related to whatever you want to play with.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VideoTutorials.html#3D%20Buzz%20Video%20Tutorials%20-%20Using%20UDK

Another page of community video tutorials can be found here...

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UDKCommunityLinks.html

Guild Hall SMU is a college that has students make tutorials for projects. The videos they have cover a bunch of topics, none very well connected, but the tutorials are pretty well done.

http://www.youtube.com/user/theguildhallatsmu/videos?query=UDK

Lastly, you might check out Mougli's tutorials to see if anything interests you.

http://www.moug-portfolio.info/category/tutorials/unrealscript/

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:28 pm

didn't know about mougli stuff. Btw i'll start learning c++ language in october by myself as i stated in the first page, is it everything i need to know to mod with udk (tutorials aside)?

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:07 am

C++ and a familiar knowledge of UDK will probably be fine. C++ will be easy to learn as far as the syntax if you have unrealscript experience, but you'll want to explore the much more advanced abilities you get when operating in C++. A strong knowledge of Newtonian physics would also be a good idea; most games are much easier to design when a team has a good knowledge of basic physics. Glossing over what rastorization and it's limitations would also be a good idea; as it's the most complicated thing that games deal with and pretty well engraves the idea that engines are a collection of hacks to make something work, not elegantly simple machines. Game engines represent the steam punk of programming.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:36 am

Quote:
C++ will be easy to learn as far as the syntax if you have unrealscript experience

i have no experience nor knowledge in scripting or coding though, shall i learn something else before going for c++?

Last edited by Wenz on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:53 am

DejZant wrote:
What's a good way to start learning about development on UDK? What are the best guides for beginners in UDK? UDN or something else? I'm interested in learning more about it but not sure where I should start. Any recommendations?

All the links Ignorance provided will teach you the basics about the UDK. It'd be interesting what task in game development you'd like to try. There are almost a douzen of different jobs and so there are different learning resources.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:26 am

Wenz wrote:
i have no experience nor knowledge in scripting or coding though, shall i learn something else before going for c++?

That depends on how well you can deal with frustration. C++ is a very harsh language that does not tolerate mistakes; I learned it as my first language, but if I hadn't been borderline masochistic about learning it, I would never have pulled through. If you have zero experience with coding and or scripting, I suggest you mess around with Unrealscript for now. In Unrealscript you can't really get in too much trouble, and the compiler is pretty good about reporting errors in a useful way; as an added bonus, even though Unrealscript won't be supported for UE4, the C++ code will be so similar that knowing the Unrealscript of UE3 will help greatly.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Thanks for the links ignorance, will start looking into it soon, when I find the time.

yankee wrote:
All the links Ignorance provided will teach you the basics about the UDK. It'd be interesting what task in game development you'd like to try. There are almost a douzen of different jobs and so there are different learning resources.

At this point, I'm not looking at doing anything specific, just want to learn about a game engine (haven't learned anything that high level before, will be my first), at least the basics of it. My previous experiences with game development have not been with an engine like this, rather on platforms like java + lwjgl (and python + pygame earlier when it was the only language I knew but that was rather limited)

Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Ignorance wrote:
Wenz wrote:

That depends on how well you can deal with frustration. C++ is a very harsh language that does not tolerate mistakes; I learned it as my first language, but if I hadn't been borderline masochistic about learning it, I would never have pulled through. If you have zero experience with coding and or scripting, I suggest you mess around with Unrealscript for now. In Unrealscript you can't really get in too much trouble, and the compiler is pretty good about reporting errors in a useful way; as an added bonus, even though Unrealscript won't be supported for UE4, the C++ code will be so similar that knowing the Unrealscript of UE3 will help greatly.

thanks a lot, i think i 've found some good online guides. I also got some titles of books i should read in the library (Thinking in C++ by Heckel, C++ Primer Plus by Prata, The C++ programmin language by Stroustrup, Programing in C++ by Hubbard). Guess it's enough for now. Got to get some economy exams done first.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2