View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Ski script? 

Post Re: Ski script?
Fixious wrote:
RompeR wrote:
nice, but what about its size ? map might be unfit for PFF physics.
ruining all the fun for the old tribers who cant wait to experience some old maps.

Size is a very definite and obvious issue. The height map is only the in-bound area (i.e. doesn't include repeated terrain). It's way too small for PFF or even T:A, even if the terrain were repeated. It's understandable why they made Raindance bigger once you mess around with the old T1 maps in UDK, but it's still too big for serious comp play.

I also tested out UDK's fog settings, something HiRez has said 'isn't possible' in T:A for a variety of reasons. With/without fog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD17ZNRvB8Q&feature=youtube_gdata

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:43 am
Project Free Fall Developer

Interesting to see the fog. Blanketed height fog still isn't my thing; I tend to prefer using localized fog volumes.

DejZant wrote:
Heck, if you give the player even more freedom in movement by making it so that the direction your jets push you in is completely dependent on the way you are oriented...

Jets already operate relative to the players orientation. The gimbal lock need only be disabled to allow for shattered horizon style jetting. I plan to give player the option to auto orientate relative to the gravity they're experiencing or rotate freely; auto orientation will be a must for maps that employ gravity volumes. Allowing for free rotation at any time will mean that players will be able to down jet as well.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:06 am

i would imagine giving people free rotation would only make it far too complicated for people.
sure having the freedom of beeing able to have different gravity volumes on maps might be cool effect, but i hardly doubt anyone will put it into such a big use.

but one cool idea can be that inside the base there is a switch, when activated a gravity field within the base removes gravity so everyone floats or walks on the ground, making light-armour players easier to kill for the heavy defense :>

or disables jetting due to the enormous pulldown.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 am

I've noticed I still can't quite seem to get the gravity and terminal velocity values to work. I followed the video you provided, but when entering the game the gravity is still quite floaty and I'm capped at 4000. The property value box shows the right numbers, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. The only thing I may have gotten wrong is when enlarging the builder brush correctly, but I'm pretty sure I did everything right.

:?

Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Hmm, as long as you followed the video, brush size probably is the issue. If your outside the brush, gravity and terminal velocity will default to 500 and 4000(the world settings).

@Romper
I don't think maps will use tons of gravity volumes, but I do think that most maps will have at least a few. Having a few gravity volumes will allow mappers to make looping maps(something that was critical to the sense of freedom that was part of Tribes). Small gravity volumes might be used for the lols, but I seriously doubt they would see much competitive use. It could be cool to have deployable gravity fields; they could be very advantageous for defense.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:45 pm

You ever manage to get gravity and terminal velocity setup right Fixious?

Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:46 am

I haven't really tried fixing it, tbh. Too busy importing Legions maps. I may try messing with the gravity stuff later.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3