View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Kickstarter Reward Ideas 

Post Re: Kickstarter Reward Ideas
yea judging from the videos it seemed strange to me to have a kickstarter this early:/ i' ll start saving some money

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:36 pm

Just noticed that Insurgency2 will probably fail to reach their kickstarter goal.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/new ... 2?ref=live

I don't know if it rings a bell for you guys but it was kind of a big deal few years ago when it was a HL2 mod. It had a solid (even competitive) which lasted ~2 years.
I'm a bit surprised they probably won't get it funded by kickstarter though because it shows quite well that even for some of the "bigger" fishes it's not a 100% sure thing.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:43 pm

that reminds me, i still wonder if any quake/ut99-like games were announced in kickstarter....

edit-

what
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/691 ... eal-holdem
:/

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:55 pm

Kickstarter is good for a lot of indie titles that have interesting concepts that are still easy to digest: easy to demonstrate gameplay/art that makes the viewer want to get it / fund it.

And just because of this, I feel that games that look like generic COD clones unless you take some time to look at it in more detail (what insurgency 2 appears to be) and more difficult to fathom concepts (like tribes-esque games) will probably not do well on kickstarter. The latter might with the right kind of demonstration.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:11 pm

sometimes i think it's a matter of knowing the right people. Like gabe newell and CLANG (which is pretty much the only kickstarter thing with Shadowrun Returns i'm looking forward to)

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:29 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

Contacts and getting the word out are the toughest part of any kickstarter campaign. The campaigns that do well tend to chose when to start carefully, normally when some gaming events are about to go down, so that they can maximize views. Kickstarter campaigns also tend to do well when games have a playable demo, or a very compelling video(or videos). Setting the lowest goal possible also helps. Kickstarter posts quite a bit of data related to successful campaigns, and those that get funded tend to get overfunded quite a bit.

If and when the kickstarter happens, I'll be working with as many people from the community as possible. Luckly, some prominent casters have already shown interest in promoting PFF once it's out of the tech demo stage.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Wenz wrote:
sometimes i think it's a matter of knowing the right people. Like gabe newell and CLANG (which is pretty much the only kickstarter thing with Shadowrun Returns i'm looking forward to)

Kickstarter is a lot about PR and trust. I guess a lot of people think that if (add famous game developer here) says it's an amazing game than the chance that people trust him is way higher than trusting some no-name indy gamedevs which have delivered a game so far.
It's a valid point imo.

Interesting read: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/TylerYork/20 ... tarter.php

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:23 pm

thinking about it i've heard of CLANG because of some valve fan. And i'm seeing lots of projects with mainstream concepts like diablo-like games and zombie/tactical fps. I guess it's easier to spread the word to some fanbases of similar games. Too bad i don't care about anything on kickstarter right know. CHIVALRY was interesting until i realized dark messiah is still the one with the best first person melee combat after all these years.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:50 am

If you're into RTS games you might want to check Planetary Annihilation. It's from the same devs who made Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander.
Looks very promising!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:58 pm

rts games are not my thing but i loved and sometimes still play all homeworld games:P which makes (or made since i don't play it anymore) eve online my number 1 mmo

Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next