View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Kickstarter Reward Ideas 
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Kickstarter Reward Ideas
I thought it would be best to ask everyone that frequents the forums what they think might be cool for Kickstarter rewards. I've been brainstorming with others, but the common theme has been that more involved in the process would be better for idea creation. It also makes sense to ask everyone on the forums for their ideas since I'll be directly appealing to you for help.

I'm open to any suggestions. I'll consider anything; the idea just has to be feasible.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:15 pm

Post Re: Kickstarter Reward Ideas
While the figurine reward is a cool idea, financially I doubt its feasible. They can be quite expensive to produce. Then again its not like you'll be making hundreds of them. I think having some part in the actual game could be nice, like being able to name or even design a map, or create a weapon.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:28 pm

I've been talking with some people I know that cast metal and glass molds, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility after the Kickstarter project. Beyond the financial costs, the lack of consistent and defined art makes designing figures a bit difficult.

Your not the first to suggest in game naming of content. I've been thinking of allowing a few donators early access for designing things such as maps. Due to how content will be handled, naming of weapons would be unrealistic; there won't be many a ton of weapons unlike TA, but there probably will be a bunch of aesthetic stuff like TF2. Hmm, naming weapons is out, but naming and designing some aesthetic content is a possibility...

Everyone that donates will get special game/site/forum profiles that recognize their donation and will have exclusive access to Kickstarter aesthetic content. Those that donate more, will be recognized in game. There are some more ideas that are being considered and probably will be included, but those two will definitely be in.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:59 pm

Since you have no art at the moment, offering art-based rewards is a little pointless. It feels a little early for a kickstarter to me, since you have no star/licence power, you need quite a lot of game (see the very successful FTL kickstarter) to attract attention. Of course, it all depends on how much money you want to try and raise.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:39 am

It's a catch 22. I wouldn't be asking for money if I had the time to make a lot of game. I see and understand your point though.

FTL had the bonus that it won a ton of indie game titles, which gave it tons of popularity. Getting the word out will be the biggest challenge for the PFF Kickstarter; which is why I won't even bother putting up the page until I can put some feelers out and see if I can get any prominent game hubs to plug the Kickstarter. Also, I won't be asking for a bunch of money. The amount of funding FTL managed is amazing, and if I managed even half their funding, I would be going nuts; $100,000 would likely solidly cover the cost of all initial art assets, along with allow full time development for a year.

I'm hoping that a vision of where the game is going and the fact that the game is available for play online will make up for the lack of overall game content. I'll definitely be appealing to those who want to believe in an idea. Presentation will be key...

Regardless, if the Kickstarter fails, I'll still be working on PFF, just at a slower pace. And there will be a point wherein I'll flat out need money to pay for hosting and such. It really is a question of time. With funding, Project Free Fall could hit the ground running by years end; without funding, I doubt the game would be reach a finalized state until 2014. I'd love to work full, or even part time, on Project Free Fall, as game programming is something that I truly love.

It may be too early for the Kickstarter, but I'm going to put all my effort into trying to make it happen anyhow. This project is as much for the community as it's for myself. There are no FPS titles out at the moment that satisfy my need for a thinking man's game; BF3 is an awe inspiring mindless twitch shooter(that EA has ruined with punkbuster), T:A is a schizophrenic mess, Firefall is cool but fits into a completely different genra, TF2 is fun but mindless. FPS gaming is in a sad state when the only game I find myself playing is Starcraft II, and the only games I'm looking forward to(apart from my own) are Diablo III, Hitman Absolution, and Farcry III; all of which for the single player or MMO experience, non for standard multiplayer.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:19 am

hmm... exclusive profiles for stat-tracking?

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:45 am

Why not use indiegogo? They have take a lesser percentage (7% instead of 10%) and non-US citizens can start projects with them.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Kickstarter takes 5%, not 10%.

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/creating%20a%20project#WhatFeesDoesKickChar

Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:12 pm

has your kickstarter thing failed? I can't find your game. Will it get a second chance? Pardon my english btw, today it's crappier than usual

Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:12 pm

As far as I know, he hasn't started it yet and from my point of view it's wise to not start it very soon.
If you have a look at all those successfull kickstarter games, they have always show a trailer with some very polished gameplay.
Right now PFF doesnt have any art-related stuff at all so I guess it'd be pretty hard to gather even 10k$.

Another point is, there's almost no PR. If there will be a kickstarter project it would be way easier if you create some buzz before all the things get rolling.
It's also safe to say that the website would need a complete overhaul. At the moment there isn't even a list what features are planned for the future or how the game will look like in general. Don't get me wrong, it's not needed just right now because PFF is still a tech-demo and everyone here knows how it'll probably evolve but if you want to make a pitch to a new audience you probably need a different angle.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next