View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Replies to Blog / Video posts thread October 2012 

Post Re: Replies to Blog / Video posts thread October 2012
I'll grab the source and take it for a spin, weapons well, no weapons feedback till we can pvp with them (apart from that the roster is basic and fine), movement speed seems mature as far as solo cruising is concerned, i'd say moving towards a playable map / netcode will yield better feedback to change either weapons or movement system (or mechanics, should they bog down netcode).

(I don't like koilee :| )

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:21 pm

With the jets losing efficiency with more speed with the current system, do they always remain strong enough to completely oppose gravity, or is there a point at which the jets simply weaken the effect of gravity because of the lessened effect? Talking about vertical movement here.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:28 am
Project Free Fall Developer

Yes, jet's can become weak enough to not be able to appose gravity, however, the math in your head is probably not the same as the math in the code; the efficiency is only applied to thrust that is positive and parallel with player velocity(and that rule applies to all directions). There are two different efficiencies, one for up/down thrust and one for left/right/forward/back thrust.

Examples:

• If you are falling down and jetting up, no efficiency is applied, and thrust output is at max.
  • If you are flying up and jetting up, the upward thrust vector will shrink as velocity increases; at some point, when upward velocity is high enough, the thrust vector will shrink to become smaller than the pull of gravity; at that point, the player will begin to slow no matter the energy reserves.
  • If you are jetting forward and travelling forward, jetpack thrust output will shrink as speed increases.
  • If you are jetting away and perpendicular with your velocity, jetpack thrust will be unmodified, and will remain at maximum output.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:48 am

Yes, I gathered those behaviours based on what you've told me before.

How strong is this effect? Is it possible that waiting for yourself to slow down a bit before completely depleting your energy reserves (while slightly tapping the jets to not "waste" energy) while going upwards in the air might help you ascend higher than by simply using the jets the instant you start moving up? Or is the effect too minor for that to even happen?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:54 am

Hmm, tapping efficiency does not so much rely on the thrust vs velocity efficiency as it does on the jetpack spool up/down times. Due to the spooling behavior added to the jetpack, tapping is a highly inefficient maneuver. During the spool up period(which is 416ms at the moment), thrust is modulated from 0 to 100 percent, but the energy consumption remains constant. If a player taps, the jetpack will spool down during the inactive periods(going from 100 to 0 percent over 333ms), which means that the jetpack thrust will experience more than normal spool related energy inefficiency.

I can't say for certain, without doing some serious math, if there is some tap rate velocity management method that could yield more height, but it's highly unlikely due to the detrimental mechanics in place(specifically the spooling mechanic).

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:55 am

Dropping in again to say hello, and I think I'll go check out the latest version, I haven't tried the game since the first release :p

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:16 am

Should have some fun then. Lots of weapons to play with. Currently I am fixing the bad net code and re-writing some old code, that's why there hasn't been any video posts for a while.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Improved net code part of the next tech demo or not? If yes, can the server be set up again for that version for us high pingers to test around in?

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Not this upcoming tech demo, I just want to allow peeps to play on goose's map without having to install UDK and such. I am however working on the net code, so the next code update tech demo should have proper net code. If you know anyone else EU that is interested in playing around, hosting your own server might work well. With pings of less than 60, the current net code seems to work ok.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:52 pm

Nice, things are looking proper in Ashes. Thank you.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next