View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 /r/UE4Devs 

Post /r/UE4Devs
Saw this on reddit recently.

http://www.reddit.com/r/UE4Devs/

Might be useful.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:27 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: /r/UE4Devs
Might be useful indeed.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:35 pm

So I see your excited for UE4.1 (tweets and such) So does this mean you made the move back yet?
I know it seemed like only a week after you solidified your choice with unity that news of the new UE4 subscriptions came out, but have you made any progress with UE4.1? Backburner for now?
I know you said some of both engines for now, but thats not realistic for any completion of PFF is it?
Just curious.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Likely will switch to UE4. The Unreal 4 looks to be without the issues that were present in Unreal 3. Besides preference, Unreal 4 is better than pretty much any engine imply due to full source access; native C++ also. The near term plan is to get a simple networked port working in both Unreal 4 and Unity, then commit to whichever. For now, I just finished up a week long test run of a summer camp that I'll be running and, as a result, have made no progress on either build. This upcoming week will hopefully see progress in Unreal 4(may go fairly quick as the Unity code is much cleaner to port from than was the UE3 code).

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:19 am

Awesome. Most of my skills are in unreal and I have the workflow down so I can make maps and add new models and things super fast in it. I've been working on stuff that I have to show off soon. I'm always working on stuff but I only show off what I'm really proud of so sometimes I don't post anything for a while.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:53 pm

Well.. you know this but, your work is good stuff. I am jealous of your tools/programs. When we settle back in and get moving forward again I will study your methods closer and purchase plug-ins/engines/terrain tools/better modeling tools/new hardware and hopefully start pumping out some cool shit.
I am anxious to get going again.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:47 pm

Well, hopefully the wait won't be too long. Have a box ready and waiting to host PFF once a net build is running.

Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:25 pm

Gort, Goose, (and anyone reading this that wants to help out) we should probably find a way to meet over VoIP or at least get a discussion going. I've been trying to map a lot of stuff in design documents for PFF. I haven't spend too much time on them because so far I've been testing and figuring out things myself.
This doesn't mean there is a strict vision to adhere to, more like a set of criteria to keep in mind so we can get a coherent whole rather than 'maps made by greth' 'maps made by goose' 'maps made by gorthaur'.
This will mostly be about stuff like scale, modulation, general segmentation of playable areas for buildings / DM maps, hill / valley system for terrain etc...

Especially for buildings we'll have to step away from what we know from Quake and T:A. Indoors being completely devoid of 'snags' that prevent flow, no dead ends - focus on circular routes. Also the use of curved corners to prevent deadstops / allow players to use the map to change direction. It comes down to 'babyproofing' the maps, constantly focusing on functionality before style.

I don't think those ideas hamper creativity too much (at least in the pure design of the maps). It's more something to keep in mind. This will simplify things when we add functional portals to maps.

The next 4 days I'll be away with just my laptop to do some writing, I'll make sure at least one of those days is dedicated to nothing down this stuff in detail.

Btw Goose, right now I'm just using blender and terresculptor / GIMP for interiors and terrain specifically. I'm not doing anything texture or material related atm as it's a bit outside of my comfortzone. (I've had to learn too many programs and skillsets in my free time so far ><). I'm hoping my current terrain can be spiced up with a good shader and a rough normal map. I'd love to have 'realistic' terrain but I'd rather have a good functional mirrored map to start off with. We'll start with DM and CTF as our primary gametypes. I full intend to have asymmetrical giant maps for different gametypes I've got quite a few of those in mind after we get the first two off the ground.

At the very least add me to skype, mail me at grethsc on gmail and we can exchange contacts :)

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:16 pm

Sounds good. Installed skype and set it up. PMed you contact info.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:16 pm

constantly focusing on functionality before style.
royal gclub

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]