View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Project Freefall - Speculations #000 - Saccaed & GrethSC 

Post Re: Project Freefall - Speculations #000 - Saccaed & GrethSC
General_Kerr wrote:
I just wanted to comment on melee, specifically as implemented in TA...

At Tribes speeds, there is no reason to swing a sword - it does nothing to make it more deadly. I imagine holding my sword in front of me as i fly at the flag defender, such that it pierces him when we meet... not timing it so i swing at that critical moment. Perhaps at slower speeds, ofc. just a thought.

Heh
Quote:
In terms of melee, if it's up to me, everyone gets a spear in PFF. Which deals damage depending on the speed difference between targets (or a flat damage amount depending on what is higher). When you have the flag the spear gets replaced with that.

I think we both have the same idea about this.

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:46 am
Project Free Fall Developer

I personally like the idea of no general melee, but a flag spear. Throwing the flag could be like throwing a javelin. /2c

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:26 pm

id rather not see any melee in PFF, manage your ammo instead and pull out if your know you are running low on ammo.

sure throwing the flag like a spear sounds like a fun idea, keep it as a choose able option.

whenever i have held the flag i cant remember ever being in such a situation where the flag used as a spear would be beneficial.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:51 pm

Make sense having a spear as melee weapon instead of swords to swing in confusing ways. Mostly because first person is not that great for CqC melee. Maybe a shotgun variant would do the trick? Except you got the disc thing already...
And i wanted to ask if there's more about the lack of melee button than a matter of too many actions to bind?

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:50 am

Yea, there will not be a melee button; personal thing of mine, I dislike the gimmicky nature of an always actionable melee. A player will have to equip a melee weapon to use it. Plan on testing flag toss on button release; if released quickly, a toss is performed; if charged, a javelin throw is performed.

@RompeR - Something being of benefit is unnecessary if the thing in question does not cause problems. A spear flag sounds like fun, that's all it needs to be.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:40 pm

Curling brooms are fun too:D

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 am

Maybe something involving curling brooms could be made into a gametype for a "twitch plays" event.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:41 pm

I had this idea that there could be a weapon that was a "barrier" gun it could have a 2 purpose firing mode 1. being a high impact melee attack(think shocklance but with knockback or something could even use it as a self launcher) and a short term projectile reflect ala M2 on tf2's flamethrowers(though i don't know if you want to keep the tracking effect of the rocket reflects.)

Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:32 am

Been listening to the first parts of the speculation video and to what Ignorance is planning for modes, weapons and such. Looked for (design) "constraints" and found out it's fundamental stuff duhh carrot. I can't really think much outside of "poke weapons", i mean the ut ones with an easy-to-dodge alt fire and a fast primary one. I looked for a direction not to fall into piles of files but i don't think any 300 pages pdf is going to make me a designer.
http://www.illc.uva.nl/Research/Publica ... 2.text.pdf
I think I'd like to understand a bit of what lies behind weapons and loadouts so yeah any keyword i should look for?

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:18 pm

My suggestion would be to play and become skillful at a number of games. While that paper likely has some good information, it's buried in verbosity and probably isn't a great way to go about learning(unless it's your thing). Aside from playing games, you might also delve into physics and math(vector math to be specific), and consider watching media that's spectacular or surreal. When I think of weapons I tend to think of interesting behavior. I avoid speculating too much and prefer to jump strait to testing. Once I'm onto something I'll 'bouce off the walls' with ideas for how to make something work and testing if something feels like it can work.

What games do you play, where would you place yourself on the skill and experience curve for FPS games in general, and do you play Quake?

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next