View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Project Freefall - Speculations #000 - Saccaed & GrethSC 

Post Project Freefall - Speculations #000 - Saccaed & GrethSC

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:05 am
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: Project Freefall - Speculations #000 - Saccaed & GrethSC
Good idea Fixious.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:18 am

Pineapples will happen.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:29 am

Have you considered making a quick and rough outline for what you want future podcasts to cover? I think that that format would help the cohesion a lot. My impression was that the podcast grew from discussions that were happening anyway between you two and that it ended up covering a lot of the same ground multiple times. Having it be a bit briefer - or the same length and talking about more topics - and also following an outline a bit more closely seems like it would be much more attention-holding for listeners. An example of what I'm suggesting would be the Giant Bombcast, which it seems likely that you listen to given your interest in both the game industry and podcasts. They go off topic often, which is fine, but they usually stick to a planned set of topics, don't stay on one topic for long if the same points are being brought up, and very rarely revisit the same topic multiple times in the same episode for an extended amount of time. That can be hard for some people to do, but I think it reinforces an emphasis on discussion over winning each other over about any one thing.

Obviously execution means incomparably more than potential, but for what it's worth I definitely didn't think that the show doesn't have potential to remain interesting to me. Since I've been so interested in seeing your methodology and process of coding the game and designing the metagame in the previous videos, Saccaed, it was cool to be able to understand a lot more of that through your talking with someone else who is also invested and who comes to the project with a different perspective (maximal competition vs. ideal game design).

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Not intending to plan out what future podcasts would cover(not a fan of long term planning outside vague speculation). Ideally they would start with topics I, and whomever is guesting, would like to cover, then explore whatever tangents happen naturally. Listener interest throughout the podcast is not something I'm too keen on; would rather people just tune out when they are no longer interested; hopefully topic time notation can be a regular practice and help with listeners who would like to skip certain segments. Your right that the podcast sprung from conversations that were happening already; as more are released I expect conversation to develop better flow. Avoiding circular talk is something that will be worked on; I have a feeling that how often it comes up will vary based on guests and topics.

One of my primary goals with the podcast is to release conversations I've been having with others for wider consumption. I have these conversations anyhow and have, for a while, thought it a shame that they never get out. I find that everyone involved is able to inject new ideas and better define ones they already may have, hopefully listeners will have similar results.

First I've heard of the Giant Bombcast. I'm always searching for new podcasts I might like; I'll give it a listen.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:11 am

Topic timestamps submitted by Fixious added to the video description. View on youtube to be able to jump around.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:27 am

It's unfortunate that you're just now looking into GiantBomb, since one of the primary cast members (Ryan Davis) passed away not too long ago. He was a pretty awesome guy. Typically their podcasts run around 2-3 hours.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:38 am

While I enjoyed the podcast, seriously think keeping it this free form and loose and long is a horrible idea. First of all, not having a list of topics or some sort of a plan beforehand will just make it all a big circlejerk. Elements of this were already evident in this one, and will be more obvious in the future methinks. Also, the length will put many people off the whole thing. You say that people can tune out when they don't want to listen, but that to me seems like a grave misunderstanding of how people like to consume their podcasts.

I would suggest you have a small plan for each episode, doesn't have to be much, just a general direction, maybe 2 topics. Try and keep to those and don't make it too lengthy. It can still be loose and informal in nature as well as being, as you said, conversations you were already having with people. Also consider setting a timeframe for the thing. I would enjoy a weekly 1-hour podcast a lot more. If that's not an option, consider splitting these longer discussions into smaller bits you can upload separately. Most people are intimidated by super long youtube videos.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:00 pm

Listened to the first 45 minutes, will finish the rest at work tomorrow.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:11 am

3 hours... this'll be interesting....

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next