View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Wild Ideas 
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: Wild Ideas
Only creeps in my garbage bin are the occasional raccoon. One of these days I'll make a hat out of them.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Fri May 16, 2014 4:53 pm

Is it crazy to have "scare" weapons that don't kill players? Like a superweapon with large radius that will send everyone in it to 1 hp which ticks back to the previous amount. Screams DoT Redeemer and if that's not crazy enough how about suicide DoT bomber (he's not supposed to die from the bomb and I feel anything else like utility nades will be easy to exploit)?
I've seen people freaking out because of hl2 black headcrabs coupled with "sacrifice" units and heavy hitters. And read about DoT railguns in this thread.

I was thinking the bomber shouldn't take any effect at all but that's not really fair and smooth, savvy players won't engage him and noobs will be easy kills (it'd be hilarious to be the only guy with 1 hp in the whole map all of a sudden).

Looking at halo's bubble shields atm.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:44 am

Neat idea. Probably will work in some capacity.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:15 pm

I thought I'd pop back in here for some wild idea time...

I've had some inspiration lately about a different way to approach fps-z combat. Because the heart of the fps-z genre is freedom of movement, it kind of bothers me that in order to balance the game as a shooter there have to be limitations. The most notorious example is the grappler in T:V, which gave people too much freedom of movement and wreaked havoc on balance. However, in the last years before T:V died completely, the few of us that still played found a meta game of grappler chasing that was highly skillful and fun as all hell. The absolute best moments were the midair e-blade flag returns on servers running the mod which made the blade cause a fumble, and deflecting cappers with the buckler.

So that got me thinking.. what of a fps-z game in which the focus is almost entirely on movement and utility, but kills don't come easy? More freedom of movement, more speed and agility, but the most vital aspects of weapons would be purpose instead of damage. Portal guns, riot guns, tractor beams, nitron cannons, etc (even grapplers if you felt so inclined). Explosive weapons would be valued more for their knockback than damage, bullets would be valued more for their ability to disrupt aim and throw people off-course in the air. You can create all kinds of weapons that do crazy things with equally crazy ways to counter them.

Of course there has to be some carnage, so I'm thinking that your go-to for damage would be melee weapons. It would be cool to be able to choose one as part of your loadout.

Anyway, that's my craziness for the year. Thoughts?

Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:24 pm

Interesting for sure. A lot of what your talking about likely will be explored in the football gametype. I do like the idea of movement and utility as an aside to the more dueling oriented gametypes.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:06 pm

Once concern I have is that if you try to standardize everything to fit a large variety of game types, you have to make a lot of compromises. If you make all things variable, your game types could become entirely different games, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. What's your plan?

Also, more wild ideas, this is a movement scheme I proposed back in T:A beta:

Ski and jet are vertically synergistic in this model. While holding ski, your character is in a crouched position and movement receives a downward bias, like doing a cannonball in the pool. On the ground, this downward bias helps propel you in the direction of the surface beneath you. While jetting, you have an upward bias (duh). Both of these vertical biases will convert X/Y momentum into their respective Z directions. However, holding both ski and jet together will cause you to air brake. All of this is without any directional keys down.

In addition to your jetpack, you have a set of lateral boosters (relative to your pointing direction) that are controlled by WASD while you are holding ski or jet, and behave the same under both. The boosters are powerful enough to produce sharp directional changes in midair at low speeds, slight corrections at high speeds, and effective quick-starts from dead stop (even on flat terrain).

Of course with the standard energy system this would be horribly OP, so here's the part that makes it work (in theory): remove (or repurpose) the energy system and instead use a cooldown system for the jetpack and boosters. Rather than have them function at full capacity as long as there is energy, you make them unlimited but with diminishing effectiveness as they heat up. Additionally, cooldown rate is increased with speed - i.e. the faster you fly, the faster everything cools.

I just installed UE4, once I figure out how to use it I would like to experiment with this myself.

Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:06 pm

Plan is for everything to be moddable. Some gametypes won't be modified much, others will feel like almost entirely different games. For now gametypes that feel like entirely different games aren't a focus, but they will be down the line. The immediate focus is on building up a foundation to work off of.

As for the movement suggestion, could be interesting, could fit in with my ideas for alternate movement packs. Best bet, as you already mentioned, would be to experiment on your own.

Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:33 pm

Aye, any tips on a good starting point are welcome. Really what I might do is try to rough out some simple maps for dev purposes, I don't think the test maps need to be as ambitious as Deimos, but effectively playable enough to gain realistic expectations in testing.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:39 am

If you start with some maps, I suggest abandoning any focus on a single map to begin with. I suggest testing ideas in relative isolation. Once you have some that your satisfied with, then think about how you might combine the ideas into a map. If you hop into code, I suggest having two free fall projects; one for your custom code and the other for vanilla source. Once a system is setup to better handle mod code, having a single project will make sense.

Before doing too much of anything though, I highly recommend downloading sample projects to see how Epic does things. The Epic youtube page is also a great place to find tutorials and how to's.

Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:12 pm

Good tips, I will definitely do so, but in this case I was talking about just throwing something simple together that more closely resembles a tribes style map, for playtesting code and such.

Don't think I can invest enough time to learn mapping and coding, hard to pick a direction... I know you need meshes too..

Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next