View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 [80cm] concept art 

Post Re: [80cm] concept art
80cm wrote:

Looks really cool imo.
If you want to go with a more open design something like that could be used.

(top view)

Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:44 pm

yankee wrote:
a more open design

Thanks, I was thinking of having the "white part" made of a clear material, but having it entirely open works too.
Frankly i'd rather recycle that look for another gun and make the railgun tailored to that purpose though (showing the massive energy surge), I just happen to really like that one as a closed design.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:50 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

80cm wrote:
(but I'd like that railgun even more if it was white with some wear marks, white guns just look good)

White on guns does look good indeed.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm

updated first post with mortar ;)

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:48 pm

the lack of depth in the concept make em look bad.

Anyway, IMHO i would like to see weapons that somewhat show their mechanics and vaugely give a hint of what it could be, so far most concepts that has been shown around the forums give me the impression of a sub-machine gun or some kind of rifle.

But i guess we will need some more info about "the heavy armor" before we can really make and good concepts of how a mortar would best look.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... v7tfSAv8qQ

i have an idea of something that is build up from this mechanic might work as a grenade launcher, cuase its light and "mobile"
a similar idea might work for a mortar.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:24 pm

RompeR wrote:
the lack of depth in the concept make em look bad.

No further depth is required, the only purpose of those mockups is to propose styles more than the weapons themselves, doing so without a definite direction to follow would be a waste of time.

RompeR wrote:
Anyway, IMHO i would like to see weapons that somewhat show their mechanics and vaugely give a hint of what it could be, so far most concepts that has been shown around the forums give me the impression of a sub-machine gun or some kind of rifle.

Thats because all of the concepts so far have been made pasting together rifle parts :p that kind of "weapon concept depth" will only come once the direction to follow and which mechanics the gun will employ are set in stone.

RompeR wrote:
i have an idea of something

A drum magazine for grenade launchers is pretty much the norm as far as grenade launchers are concerned :p
But its really not going to work on a mortar, the idea behind a mortar is not a semi auto spam, but a single shot carefully aimed shell, besides mortar shells are quite heavy, a drum magazine with 6+ loaded would easily make the gun unbearable to hold.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:14 pm

I really liked your chaingun concept, but the thing is it doesn't scream chaingun, you know? It feels a lot more like the ARX buster from tribes ascend, in fact. The most prominent part of a chaingun should be, first and foremost, the barrel. I think you should keep this sprite as a basis for future weapons, but for now focus on making a chaingun. Let's look at these Raze 2 sprites for reference.

But the thing is, you already have a sprite that conveys this level of prominence in the barrel; your railgun sprite.

Ignoring the three additional sprites on the bottom, can't you imagine this being a minigun? The white part being a spinning barrel, maybe add in an ammo pack up top, and slowly it starts coming together. Now for another aspect; color schemes.

I'm pretty sure somebody mentioned the color concept of just white, black, and another color. I think this is a good starting point, especially after taking a gander at this sexy-ass mortar.

I think that so far the color scheme best suited to PFF is just a predominant white color. Look at how even the default UDK weapon blends in perfectly with the white, snowy landscape.

That's about it. And to summarize...

TL;DR: Modify Railgun to be a chaingun, keep old chaingun for reference, your mortar's sexy and we should stick with white weapons.
Oh yeah, and your mortar's
SEXY

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Chromium wrote:
it doesn't scream chaingun

Very true, the reasoning behind it was that in a mobile game, chainguns should resemble smg's rather than full blown "assault rifles" (with spinning barrells and whatnot), heavy weapons (mortar, rail etc.), would employ a much more cumbersome appearance (in relation to their damage output - nukes).

Thanks for the feedback though! I'll see if I can come up with a better chain, what was the chain before could just as easily be something else with some slight modifications (nade launcher, plasma gun etc.).

edit.
If you like them that bad nag ignorance to have them ingame, he loathes them :cry:
consider blackmail

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:59 am

What are you using to create your models/art?

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:16 pm

3ds for the 3d, photoshop for the 2d, though any will do (blender, gimp etc.), this is because what you see here is mostly stuff done with pimpmygun (google it, or watch the other thread called "unconventional doodling"), and then "fixed here and there" (which explains the dull/simplistic look).

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2