View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 [80cm] concept art 

Post [80cm] concept art
Gonna leave my stuff here as I make it, critiques/comments welcome

Possible chaingun, too retro? :|

Railgun, once the light impulse leaves the barrel, it just lasts for a split second (as a laser beam, like you'd expect)

I can't explain how much in love I am with this mortar, the grip could've stayed white rather than black (looked better), and the gun looks a whole lot better in light sand color but I made it white for the hell of it

Last edited by 80cm on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:22 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: [80cm] concept art
Funny you mention too retro, because I was wondering if it came with a tapedeck mid-gun. Interesting concept. My only complaint is that the box thing between the fore grip and the aft grip(is that right?) seems a bit odd; have you tried a version that doesn't have that component(wondering if it might look better)?

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Ignorance wrote:
Funny you mention too retro, because I was wondering if it came with a tapedeck mid-gun. Interesting concept. My only complaint is that the box thing between the fore grip and the aft grip(is that right?) seems a bit odd; have you tried a version that doesn't have that component(wondering if it might look better)?

Didnt try that, but it takes no time to pop out a few versions:

Personally, 2 grips and no middle box looks empty/odd, I like it best both with and without the foregrip (so image on 1st post, and 3rd on the image above)

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:23 am

Yea, two grips and no box looks odd when I consider that weapons will likely all be handled as if with one hand; the two grips looks like it would do better in a milsim or something. However, the two bottom ones look better. If I had to choose between the two which I like more, it probably would be the bottom one(don't ask me why, it's just feel). You might try clipping the portion that's under the barrel to be shorter; to the under barrel detail probably would look best, maybe with an angle to match the rear top of the gun.

My only complaint, or rather point, I would have to make is that the weapon might lack flexibility in allowing the fire and reload animations to show action; it's the difference between Quake and Unreal Tournament weapons, the animations that is. It probably is to early to really consider how the weapon might be animated at this point in creation, but I thought I should bring it up. In the end it would be nice to see weapons display similar working animations to that of Unreal Tournament; the animations don't need to be extravagant, but I do feel they can make a game feel more polished and interesting.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:09 am

Ignorance wrote:
the bottom one(don't ask me why, it's just feel).
You might try clipping the portion that's under the barrel to be shorter; to the under barrel detail probably would look best, maybe with an angle to match the rear top of the gun.

No problem, I like that one myself a lot; thought the underbarrel as long as the barrel is one of the things I like the most, agreed than rather than being like this | it could be cut similar to the rear

Ignorance wrote:
the weapon might lack flexibility in allowing the fire and reload animations to show action;

Theres a lot of animations you can do to mimic reload, the "box" you speak of, is actually where the magazine is housed, if you want a reload animation, it could be that the player points the gun 45° and the magazine ejects with some gas, then a new magazine is loaded "off camera".

I mean, you can always add anything you might need to make an animation (trigger, ejection port etc.). Otherwise I don't understand what you mean with "animations", I can understand that when you speak of projectile weapons (flak gun, rocket launcher, fire 1 shot > reload animation > fire 1 shot), but not with chainguns (spray the magazine > magazine is changed), and that thing there is a chaingun

There could even be a overheat behaviour (so that players can't track a target and fire forever)

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:04 am

when i hear the word chaingun i think of a weapon with multiple pipes, and then i see something that looks like a submachine gun.
i guess there are expectations when you name something with a name that allready has a certain base-design to it allready.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:23 pm

RompeR wrote:
when i hear the word chaingun i think of a weapon with multiple pipes, and then i see something that looks like a submachine gun.
i guess there are expectations when you name something with a name that allready has a certain base-design to it allready.

I had that in mind too (nice mean assault rifle), but then I thouth well, this game is all about being very mobile, and there is going to be only one chaingun, so it made sense to me that it had to look like the chaingun prioritized mobility, that is to say SMG's.

See I'm not half bad at asspulling explanations :lol:

edit.
somewhat bland railgun added

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:57 pm

i think the tribalwar version of the chaingun looked quite interesting.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Yea, not digging the rail(that's probably because I have some strong idea's about what I think the rail should look like). In all honesty I would rather the railgun to be almost completely open, so that when the player fires, that burst of energy can be seen as much as possible.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:26 pm

RompeR wrote:
i think the tribalwar version of the chaingun looked quite interesting.

No idea what that looks like sorry :oops:

Ignorance wrote:
Yea, not digging the rail

Thats fine, we all have "personal ideas" about what something should look like, however feedback on the "look of it" is still appreciated.
If the first gun looks clean and retro-futuristic, with the second I went for a "blocky and grimy no curves allowed" simple look (but I'd like that railgun even more if it was white with some wear marks, white guns just look good)

Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next