View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Weapon unconventional doodling 

Post Re: Weapon unconventional doodling
I'd really like to see a revival of the shocklance instead some old-fashioned meelee weapons. Especially in a game which usually has huge distances between the players and fast paced movement meelee weapons seemed to me unnecessary.
Of course there are some nice frags with the meelee attack in T:A but everytime it's a "bump into each other, who presses the meelee key first" story.

The shocklance was nicely adapted to the gameplay with the range attack and the challenging twist that you had to hit from behind.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:38 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

I don't plan for a complex melee system, just primary and alt fire. As for a spear, the flag is planned to be usable as a melee weapon(finally I'll be able to stab peeps with it). As for what weapon, or weapons, will be used for the primary melee weapon, this probably isn't the thread to discus it, but it probably will be have a point blank primary and a short range, energy based secondary. If melee weapon discussion needs to continue, it's probably best to make another thread.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:25 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

Possible Railgun design?

I like the open center idea because it allows for the fire sequence to show a beam trail and such.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:41 am

Ignorance wrote:
Possible Railgun design?

I like the open center idea because it allows for the fire sequence to show a beam trail and such.

I like the overall shape but I'm not a fan of the two black /\ parts placed like that, I'm making a railgun (and a mortar) myself, and curiously enough I too wanted the "laser" to show, however what I'm making is slightly different, the whole gun has a very thin "slit" from back to front, and when you fire, the idea is that a very bright "pulse" from back to front lights up as the gun shoots (light impulse, because it essentially is that, altough you shouldnt be able to see it since its near instantaneous, but for graphical purposes...), just to make it a bit more "subtle" and to give the idea of something really "powerful thin and piercing" being fired

Gonna post it later hopefully what I mean is understandable.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:19 am

Also not a fan of the two black triangles on top and on bottom the way you've set them up. I think it might look better if you pulled the top one back 1/3 or 2/3 of its length, would make it look less symmetrical yet consistent.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:16 am

DejZant wrote:
I think it might look better if you pulled the top one back 1/3 or 2/3 of its length, would make it look less symmetrical yet consistent.

Something like this? had made this gun a few days ago, still have to put it in photoshop and "sculpt" it to what I had in mind.
With those two barrels it'll probably be uhhh, a shotgun / antiair flakgun or something :|

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:24 am

Yeah, kinda like that. Though, I'm thinking it'd look better if they were still both facing the same way, not mirrored like what you have there.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:39 am

I don't really like both of your mock-ups. Ignorance's weapon looks just way too gimmicky with all those useless extra details and the red/green combination even increases that look.
Of course you can't really use nowadays-logic to create weapons, but it's an important thing that at least seems it like a logical design.

What are those triangles for? It's neither a grip or some sights, so it seems like a "add random gunpart here" gimmick.

Furthermore, if we go with the aseptic hightech design it needs a rather lean, minimalistic design with more straight lines.

Googled some concepts which go in that direction:

http://eat3d.com/files/forum_images/d9_j6.jpg
http://conceptartworld.com/wp-content/u ... no_01a.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-u5ZcadobXjg/T ... pers-5.jpg
http://www.popgadget.net/images/laser-gun.jpg
http://imageshack.us/f/528/assaultriflewh7.png/
http://www.wesleymackinder.com/folioIma ... kinder.jpg
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/ ... 4bp66u.jpg

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:10 pm

yankee wrote:
"add random gunpart here" gimmick.

Thats inevitable because its the purpose of that website:

80cm wrote:
RompeR wrote:
you could probably make the "outline" of the weapon with this tool

I'd say thats precisely its purpose

You first paste together all kinds of different gun parts, until you are satisfied with the result, for me, it was this:

As you can see, its a mess, and full of redundant details and gimmicky stuff, but thats not a problem, because all I cared about was the outline, I loaded that mockup in photoshop, deleted some things, added others, and this is the result:

Which I would argue is a fairly original / good drawing. Out of the images you linked, there is only one that doesnt remind of a "tryhard futuristic toygun", and thats this one http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52 ... lewh7.png/

Mainly because its reasonable, and its design makes sense (obviously, since almost all of it is a direct rip of something that exists in real life, namely the P-90 receiver and a top part resembling the ocelot)

Thats to say that obviously the direct output from that website will have a lot of flaws, which then can be ironed out (but I do agree the whole red-green thing was gimmicky :P )

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:45 pm

80cm wrote:
Thats inevitable because its the purpose of that website:

Maybe my describtion wasn't spot on. Of course you take random gun parts and assemble it to a gun but you take parts because you need a grip, a barrel or whatever. What I meant is, that it looks odd if you take any random piece and add it to a position where it doesnt have any recognizable purpose. That's what those triangles look like.
However, I like those designs you posted in the other thread.

80cm wrote:
Which I would argue is a fairly original / good drawing. Out of the images you linked, there is only one that doesnt remind of a "tryhard futuristic toygun", and thats this one http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52 ... lewh7.png/

It depends on the timescale we want for PFF. If we say the game takes place in a world with the (possible) technology of 2030-2050 this design would be perfect imo. As you can notice the usual assaultrifle shapes. On the other hand, if you go with the typical tribes timeline (isnt it 45th century or something like that?) it looks too a bit too close to 2012.
Thats also something what bothers me a bit with T:A. You can't really say that the weapon arsenal is congruent because there are Spinfusors and LaserRifles but Shotguns and AssaultRifles which fit into any CoD:MW DLC as well.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next