View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Weapon unconventional doodling 

Post Re: Weapon unconventional doodling
yankee wrote:
Thats also something what bothers me a bit with T:A. You can't really say that the weapon arsenal is congruent because there are Spinfusors and LaserRifles but Shotguns and AssaultRifles which fit into any CoD:MW DLC as well.

Exactly, just compare weapons like the jackal, spinfusors, plasma guns, SMGs, shotguns, and nades. None of them look like they belong to the same time period or the same civilization.

I don't really see a near future art style working out for PFF. Such weapons and armor would look bad when placed in large open maps with very little scenery, just bright smooth terrain and people flying around at 800kmh with jetpacks. In my opinion, it'd just be better to not try and build weapons that look near future(ish) and make sense in terms of their mechanics and build, and follow in the footsteps of almost every other arcade shooter with shining examples like quake and unreal. This doesn't mean the same style of art style, just the same philosophy of design: Don't worry about them making sense, just make sure they fit together well and look decent, be the end result bright and shiny or dark and dystopian.

Out of yankee's list, these two seem like weapons that might fit in a tribes-esque game well enough: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-u5ZcadobXjg/T ... pers-5.jpg
http://conceptartworld.com/wp-content/u ... no_01a.jpg

... though the art styles on them are the opposite of each other, the turret being bright and shiny and the sniper not so much. The sniper, however, looks like something I'd like to see. It doesn't worry about "making sense", yet has that clear style to it. It has that "dark and dystopian" look to it that I think might suit the game well. It doesn't look too much like other arcade shooters' weapons, yet it looks like it would fit in with an arcade shooter non the less.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:39 pm

yankee wrote:
It depends on the timescale we want for PFF.

thats exactly it, they don't have a solid art direction, they're fundamentally aimless with some steering-correction towards the tribes lore.
Now PFF doesn't have an art direction either, thats why we're all contributing with ideas to try and find it.

Dej doesnt like what I had in mind, I don't like what ignorance had in mind etc. We'll get it eventually ;)

@dejzant
the two examples you picked look as bland and generic as it gets :ugeek:

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:19 pm

80cm wrote:
@dejzant
the two examples you picked look as bland and generic as it gets :ugeek:

Compared to what you're building and suggesting that look like weapons from maybe 2050, when the current most popular type of FPS game takes its weapons from actual weapons we currently have available (and possibly weapons inspired by actual weapons if set in the near future)? Not really :P

My general point however is just to say that the art style should make sense when considering the circumstances. Relatively simple and empty big maps, jetpacks and players whizzing past at 800kmh, maps in all kinds of places including underseas, in space, on different planets, weapon mechanics being as they are (not too realistic), etc. A near future art style would just look very off.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:32 pm

id like to see "functional design?"(is that the right word?).

i guess there have been experiments on how to make a railgun IRL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun

so maybe something that symbolizes the 2 rails with the magnetic fields could fit such a model better..
or atleast give the impression that such a thing is inside the rifle barrel.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Bild_3.gif

this could be the railgun barrel but instead of having a circular projectile you change it to a flat square metal disc just to give it a special touch.

Last edited by RompeR on Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:16 pm

been trying something for the fun of it. I'm not trying to be an attention whore so feel free to say whatever you want, i didn't really know what i was doing back then and i'm not satisfied yet. Should' ve probably sent a pm to 80cm asking for suggestions instead of posting but whatever. Looks very short though, heh.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Wenz wrote:
been trying something for the fun of it. I'm not trying to be an attention whore so feel free to say whatever you want, i didn't really know what i was doing back then and i'm not satisfied yet. Should' ve probably sent a pm to 80cm asking for suggestions instead of posting but whatever. Looks very short though, heh.

That looks like an akward pistol-sized assault rifle :o

We'll call it assault pistol, its good 8-)

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:03 pm

well yeah, i only got (half) the shape i wanted but couldn't choose the right size for each part (i know there's a function but works for both lenght and heigth at the same time) . And i was going for some blocky stuff at first:/

Last edited by Wenz on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:11 pm

I agree with DejZant that ~2050 could feel weird with all the jetpack and skiing technology. You can still argue that it's some parallel universe but it'd need some more things to make that obvious.

@Romper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uV1SbEuzFU
Reminded me of that video. The sound at ~0:20 is amazing. :D

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:32 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

I gues first and foremost I should mention that the colors on the weapon don't exist as actual color, they exist to highlight different components. There's no point in having a black on black on black weapon if you want to highlight certain details. I really don't think anyone's doodles that come strait from that should have the color choice considered just because it only allows ~10 colors and doesn't allow painting of any sort.

yankee wrote:
It depends on the timescale we want for PFF. If we say the game takes place in a world with the (possible) technology of 2030-2050 this design would be perfect imo. As you can notice the usual assaultrifle shapes. On the other hand, if you go with the typical tribes timeline (isnt it 45th century or something like that?) it looks too a bit too close to 2012.

The timescale is one of 3 things, the Star Wars long long ago route, the Tribes hyper futuristic route, or exists in an entirely separate timeline. What the scale isn't is anything remotely close to now.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:05 pm

didn't think about that, i'll need some time to resize and get used to mess with Paint or gimp

Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next