View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Weapon unconventional doodling 
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: Weapon unconventional doodling
Keeping it within the scope of this thread, yes, everyone will have zoom capabilities like a pair of binoculars. However, you will not be able to zoom fire using it. As for weapons you might expect to have a functioning scope, such as a sniper rifle, they may not have the ability to scope fire. Trying to keep the reasoning simple, scopes are not necessary and likely hinder fun gameplay rather than encourage it; scoped firing will be carefully considered, but it's not a guaranteed function.

As for immersion, personally I've never had problems with the Quake style weapons. The fire animation is the reload animation. There is no scoping in as if your eye is panning to a scope(which is silly for an arcade game); scoping is just a toggle.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:24 pm

Never really noticed it before but comparing to T1 I really think this reload animation is rather annoying and not immersive at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzz1WRWTpuw&feature=plcp

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:41 pm

I generally think reload animations where the characters hands do something complicated really break immersion. It makes me feel a disconnect with the player character. I much prefer the weapon doing something similar to what the weapons in T1 did, a slight nudge, a new projectile popping in ready to be shot, something like that. While a proper full animation with hands and all might look more polished, it certainly doesn't feel that way during gameplay.

Also, just a slight note on reload: Reload should not be able to be interrupted in a way (by switching weapons or something) that requires you to start reloading it again later on. It's a rather annoying gameplay component to be forced to reload after switching weapons because you forgot to reload your weapon after firing it before. This applies even with passive reloads like what T:A has.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 pm

@DejZant
I to prefer when the weapon itself does most of the operations. In some cases it can be fitting to have the hands reload the weapon, like when using a weapon that's supposed to be old school(pump action shotgun maybe?). Reloads and weapon switches will be handled Quake style; meaning that the player will have to wait for the weapon to fully reload before switching to another weapon.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:41 am

btw, what about melee weapons?

Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm sure one or two will happen, but don't expect a melee arsenal.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:56 pm

Wenz wrote:
btw, what about melee weapons?

I will nag ignorance very hard for a spear or an alabard.

I'd like to see a melee weapon that you can swing normally or use special abilities with (say one is a powerful cleave, another is a quick consecutive 3 strike hit, another is a much more powerful power attack, so you can combo people dead).

Put short, I want it to be viable. but thats something that'll come much much later I'm sure.

I'm 100% against something like MW knife, or quake gauntlet, where you either 1 hit kill people, or run around holding mouse1 trying to stick to a target, neither of those captures the essence and frenzy of a white weapon to me.

Why not, it could have crowd control (knockbacks, knockups, etc.), would make it really interesting.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:59 pm

id rather not see a melee weapon, sure they have their moments but still.....

you could atleast replace it with something that acctually can do some damage(5% shot) on a short distance.... like a really really bad shocklance that only goes 2-5 meters.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:19 pm

RompeR wrote:
id rather not see a melee weapon, sure they have their moments but still.....

you could atleast replace it with something that acctually can do some damage(5% shot) on a short distance.... like a really really bad shocklance that only goes 2-5 meters.

It doesnt take much to make a melee weapon viable so long that you give it purpose.

If it only does damage, then its just like every other gun (except maybe you make it do more damage to compensate for the lack of range).
If it can do more (disable, stun, knockback/displace, EMP, parry), suddendly it starts to have more purposes than just fullfill someone's need to be "up and personal" in his PVP just for the sake of being all up and personal.

Of course, you might need something to compensate for the range (something like a gap closer, a dash, something like that, or innate faster run speed etc.).

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:28 pm

I think a spear would work both for offence and defence but you'd probably need something much smaller because of the third person view.
Will a super weak gun with infinite ammo be a good replacement to those who don't like melee weapons? Like a little shotgun that overheates after a very few shots

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next