View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Weapon unconventional doodling 

Post Weapon unconventional doodling
Heres a great tool to mock up guns really fast, theres enough pieces that the limit is your imagination

http://pimpmygun.doctornoob.com/

Play>select a preset as a base>start adding/removing parts>change colors

heres an example

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:09 am

Post Re: Weapon unconventional doodling
looks nice but i would like to see some more futuristic details.

you could probably make the "outline" of the weapon with this tool, but i guess it doesnt serve the right purpose if you are going for futuristic weapons.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:47 pm

RompeR wrote:
you could probably make the "outline" of the weapon with this tool

I'd say thats precisely its purpose, the steps from that mockup, and a fairly futuristic sniper-laser rifle are much fewer than they would have been had I sat down there and added all that up myself by hand (sketch, erase, sketch, erase, sketch, erase, sketch, erase, look up images online, sketch, erase etc.)

If that doesnt look futuristic enough to you, thats entirely my fault (I'm very much against "ubber futuristic toy-weapons", and much prefer trying to draw "the next iteration of what we have today").

Just by rotating and scaling things you can make truly impressive things, the amounts of combinations is absurd!

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:14 pm

I don't think we'll have a good art style if we just do "the next iteration of what we have today". That just would not look good on an arcade shooter with very little assets, a simplified art style (as in all arcade shooters), and players blazing past going 15kups with omnidirectional jetpacks. Especially not with the kind of projectiles we're going to be dealing with.

I feel like we'd end up in a good place if we took the human weapons in UT art style, made it appear a bit rougher and more worn and less graceful, and maybe placed one or two experimental hacked together prototype looking glowing things in them to give a sense of futurism for the less familiar weapons (such as mortar, disc, railgun, whatever. Any non bullet weapon). You end up with something that does not look like a toy, yet has that eery futuristic feel to it.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:24 pm

DejZant wrote:
You end up with something that does not look like a toy, yet has that eery futuristic feel to it.

seems like everyones idea of "futuristic" varies wildly from one another, an image so I can get an idea would be cool

screwed around some more

brb, gonna screw around in PS and show you how much you can change things up after you clean it up

Last edited by 80cm on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:27 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

That definitely looks better than the first. Will play around with it to see what all can be made.

Wierd laser rifle concept.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:46 pm

and heres what it looks like after a few minutes on photoshop.

You may like it better you may like it worse, but consider that to get to that, it took me barely 1 hour (the whole process), and then you can add stuff directly from images off of internet, and what you end up with, no matter what, is a high res (the output of that site is vector, cntrl+ makes it huge lossless), sideview blueprint, which for a 3d modeler is invaluable.

I would say its a fair trade of convenience, plus it eliminates eventual "barriers" people may have (i cant draw, i cant do 3d, i cant use photoshop, i cant use illustrator, i dont have a scanner, i dont have a tablet) etc.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:56 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

It's worth noting that triggers and sights are not necessary at all. If you need a realistic argument as to why, the armour can link to your characters brain and sense when you want to fire(which would be a better system anyhow) and you armour also can provide the optics(which again, would be a better system). Just food for thought when designing things.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Ignorance wrote:
It's worth noting that triggers and sights are not necessary at all. If you need a realistic argument as to why, the armour can link to your characters brain and sense when you want to fire(which would be a better system anyhow) and you armour also can provide the optics(which again, would be a better system). Just food for thought when designing things.

While I agree with the former (it could simple be that your hand is off camera), I disagree with the latter.
Some weapons don't need optics (and probably should be zoomed either, like rocket launchers), others need em (like the 2 sniper rifles I posted).

Unless, you plan every weapon to be zoomable with "built in eye binoculars".
Another thing to do would bypass having ammo alltogether on weapons, lets just use energy "stored in your suit", that way we save up on:

- no scoping-in animations
- no trigger fire animations
- no reload animations

Sure immersion will take a bad hit, but that saves us a metric ton of work

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:19 pm

80cm wrote:
Unless, you plan every weapon to be zoomable with "built in eye binoculars".
Another thing to do would bypass having ammo alltogether on weapons, lets just use energy "stored in your suit", that way we save up on:

- no scoping-in animations
- no trigger fire animations
- no reload animations

Sure immersion will take a bad hit, but that saves us a metric ton of work

I'm not sure but probably you can save some "immersion" if such weapons will look like a part of your arm

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next