View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Cool images that inspire PFF design... 

Post Re: Cool images that inspire PFF design...
RompeR wrote:
my vote is for neo-tokyo:ish design.(not the neonlights and flashy things... just watch some futuristic anime like ghost in the shell or akira and you will see what i mean.)

clean(?)/blocky/round/simple

Are you referring to maps, or weapons/player appearance/hud etc?

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:22 pm

to whatever you can apply it to.

but the most hightech stuff seemed to have a very clean metallic/blocky look to it.(very little visable tech/details..)
It also has its rough areas with dirt and visable pipes and mechanic parts.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:27 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

80cm wrote:
Ignorance wrote:
The weapons ideally should look to have been designed by different civilizations. Weapons might look like those we can find on earth now, others might look made entirely from light, and some might look a bit steampunk. Again, the idea of a grand tournament where many different races participate comes into play when talking of the weapons, and this idea continues to the rest of the assets.

I disagree with this, I think that if you make the maps disconnected from one another (and thus, every asset within them), something needs to remain constant, and that is the appearance of weapons, to a degree player appearance, vehicles, HUD and interface should all follow the same artstyle and appear to be manufactured by the same people.

Color schemes do far more to tie things together than geometry. Wildly different weapon designs very easily work together when they share a similar color pallet.

yankee wrote:
Imagine a jetpack game with medieval castles, scifi cities, space stations, a battleaxe and a gauss cannon. You have to admit that would be odd.

Same goes for everything else, geometry matters little. Medival(presumably European) castles would only feel odd due to the stone construction. The clean lines of persian castles and asian temples would work fine. As for the battle axe, it probably would feel a bit odd if it literally was just a battle axe, but it probably could work if it was a laser axe or something(when in doubt add lasers?).

80cm wrote:
Something that really caught my attention was this style, though I'd go for something less "rigid and geometrical", but the idea is there, all weapons would have 2-3 colors, black, white, and a 3rd color would be sufficent, and they wouldnt be color coded (ala warsow), or just black+white would be good, something not too polaryzing, fairly neutral, the maps and landscape will be the protagonist

This makes far more sense. Ideally weapons, and assets in general would be made up of only a few primary colors. However, it's good to note that the overall color pallet should have more than just a few colors, so that weapons don't all look black, white, and one other color.

80cm wrote:
As far as art direction for weapons, players etc. I'd go for something slightly futuristic but not too much, something balanced, simple, jetpacks and skiing clash with the idea of steampunk I have so I'd rule that style off

Steampunk would probably look out of place if appied to the players and related gameplay assets, but would look fine if found on map assets. I'm not saying a full blown bioshock would work, but touches of old world industry being found near machinery wouldn't look out of place.

yankee wrote:
80cm's pic is a good example how to get a unified theme into things and there are so many more options.

Yes it is, but it's worth noting again that the color scheme is what ties everything together. The geometry is similar, but not nessisary.

yankee wrote:
In my opinion an amazing example for simple but effective game art was Mirror's Edge. All of the assets were really simple, textures were dumped down to basic lines and it still looked awesome due to subtle highlights and the overall feel.

Yea, Mirrors Edge did well at maintaining congruity over it's art assets. Learning from their success would not be a bad thing.

RompeR wrote:
clean(?)/blocky/round/simple

I.E. Good design. Yea, I would prefer to see very clean designs too; minimal design instead of complex design(Looking at you sight rails...).

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:13 pm

Wenz wrote:
you can find a lot of neonlights and dirt in those animes but i see what you mean and i second that. Some aseptic visuals you may like can be found in Portal games, but probably Hawken and NeoTokyo are closer things to what you mean. Mirror's Edge too.

yeah "aseptic hightech" might be a good word for it.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:13 am

RompeR wrote:
yeah "aseptic hightech" might be a good word for it.

thats exactly the weapon style I'm rooting for

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:22 am

Wenz wrote:
Some aseptic visuals you may like can be found in Portal games, but probably Hawken and NeoTokyo are closer things to what you mean. Mirror's Edge too.

Well, I'm only judging NeoTokyo and Hawken from videos but it's hardly the same style. NeoTokyo has some similarities with Mirror's Edge since it has very colourful highlights and a rather clean look. I'd say that Hawken with all those dirty and jumpled highrises is the complete opposite.

http://cdn.devicemag.com/wp-content/upl ... wken_1.png

http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/origi ... or__2_.jpg

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:45 pm

well yeah, i thought that was something close to RompeR's idea only a lot dirtier. I wonder why he doesn't like neonlights though:/

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Would rather shy away from the drab colors of Hawken. Halo is probably a better thing to look at as it's very vibrant. The idea will be to have a recognizable color pallet that isn't super restricting. Mirrors Edge did a decent job of having a decent color pallet selection; which meant they could add pretty much anything without it looking to out of place.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:33 pm

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/sci ... max/671952

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:35 am

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, is exceptionally cool and would work perfectly for a map I already had in mind for when custom gravity volumes are in.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next