View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Cool images that inspire PFF design... 
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Cool images that inspire PFF design...
http://imgur.com/a/baOG1#0

Those are images that show neat things that I think could be cool for games. Most express ideas for effects and map ideas.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:33 pm

Post Re: Cool images that inspire PFF design...
Oh that album thing is a really neat way to put and keep things together, you have to register to be able to make albums right?
You said "effects", and that hit my mind like a freight train.

Effects are going to be painful to make, are we supposed to modify those too from the stock ones?

Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:36 pm

I'm definitely not a pro so i don't know if this will help, but maybe bigger maps should give the idea of battlefields. Some friends of mine expected T:A to be closer to an arena style of gameplay and never thought T:A needed some tactics looking at the colourful maps.That until they joined a match.

Also as cyberpunk fan i've noticed many -punk related visuals becoming a trend in videogames especially in the last 2-3 years. For example, this year it's going to be a fest with industrial/steampunk/biopunk themes in Dishonored and Bioshock without mentioning other cyberpunk games. A theme they all have in common is general decadence so if you show some desolation brought by the war, like for example a (stormy?) desert filled with craters and a huge skyscraper on the horizon, it may ring some bells and feel different from tribes or legions. There are a lot of sci fi settings one could use

Last edited by Wenz on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:45 pm

I get the inspirational point of some pictures but it doesn't really translate into a consistent design for me.

@80cm

Yep, that's probably a huge chunk of work too. I haven't really looked into the particle system at all.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:46 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

80cm wrote:
Oh that album thing is a really neat way to put and keep things together, you have to register to be able to make albums right?

I'm pretty sure you have to register for albums.

80cm wrote:
Effects are going to be painful to make, are we supposed to modify those too from the stock ones?

If I remember right, most of the effects that already exist don't have to be replaced. So effect creation will be a process of observing how existing ones work, then tweaking/making new ones. UDK comes with a fair few effects to pick through, and because I have UT3, I also can peruse through those when I want to figure out how to do something. Effects will be iterated upon a bunch, that I can be sure of.

Wenz wrote:
I'm definitely not a pro so i don't know if this will help, but maybe bigger maps should give the idea of battlefields.

Bigger maps, maybe. But what was nice about the old Tribes games wasn't so much that the maps were infinite, but that you never ran into hard boundaries. I am really hopeful that gravity volumes will allow for medium to small maps to play with the same elegance as infinite maps.

Wenz wrote:
A theme they all have in common is general decadence so if you show some desolation brought by the war, like for example a (stormy?) desert filled with craters and a huge skyscraper on the horizon, it may ring some bells and feel different from tribes or legions. There are a lot of sci fi settings one could use

Hopefully the maps will each have their own feel even if it's only slightly different from the others. Considering that I plan to make some orbital re-entry, space station, and space maps, the game will definitely vary quite a bit. As for common themes, things should be visually interesting; Halo did this well with the skybox and lush landscapes.

yankee wrote:
I get the inspirational point of some pictures but it doesn't really translate into a consistent design for me.

Yea, I know the images don't define well a consistent design, but I'll try my best to describe the consistencies between maps as I see my own ideas.

For most of my maps all the landscapes are vibrant; the forests lush, and the deserts filled with color. The structures appear ancient, but, for the most part, not in ruin. There tends to be overlap between the landscape and the structures, such that most of the environments look like they've been uninhabited for centuries. Machinery too is ancient, but remains functional; touches of steampunk can be found mixed with hyper futuristic machines. As for the machine designs, they are intricate and composed of many visible moving parts; the parts in some cases not are not made of matter but what appears to be light). The larger machines serve as close quarters routes that open and close and the machine operates. Structures can be so large that an entire outdoor map might exist in a single structure(perhaps a blimp floating over a planet with dense atmosphere, or an underground bio-dome). Structures don't only exist above ground, the can exist mostly underground(a la T1 Desert of Death).

As for the players, weapons, ships, vehicles, deployables, etc, for the most part, they should appear new, but in some cases show signs of use. Armor and clothing is definitely something that can look worn from use, but that depends on the design of the avatar. As I've said to a few people, I just think of the game as a futuristic mortal combat when thinking of how player characters look. What's important is that the character fit's their own style(i.e. does not look ugly). The weapons ideally should look to have been designed by different civilizations. Weapons might look like those we can find on earth now, others might look made entirely from light, and some might look a bit steampunk. Again, the idea of a grand tournament where many different races participate comes into play when talking of the weapons, and this idea continues to the rest of the assets.

The idea of a collection of things from many different civilizations exists to combat the ever present need for games to conform to themselves(shall I call it MilSim syndrome?). I was talking to yankee the other day about how I hope for project free fall to look almost surreal. The bizarre images in the gallery represent that surreal element I'd like to see. Ideally the game might reach a point where it's beautiful to just jet around and inspect the scenery.

I realize that most ideas presented are out of reach for the current dev environment, but it's the direction I'd like to see the art move. For now, T1/Quake 3 would work fine as reference.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:20 am

Ignorance wrote:
Hopefully the maps will each have their own feel even if it's only slightly different from the others. Considering that I plan to make some orbital re-entry, space station, and space maps, the game will definitely vary quite a bit. As for common themes, things should be visually interesting; Halo did this well with the skybox and lush landscapes.

I agree with having very interesting maps/landscapes, they can differ wildly from one another with no issues, however...

Ignorance wrote:
The weapons ideally should look to have been designed by different civilizations. Weapons might look like those we can find on earth now, others might look made entirely from light, and some might look a bit steampunk. Again, the idea of a grand tournament where many different races participate comes into play when talking of the weapons, and this idea continues to the rest of the assets.

I disagree with this, I think that if you make the maps disconnected from one another (and thus, every asset within them), something needs to remain constant, and that is the appearance of weapons, to a degree player appearance, vehicles, HUD and interface should all follow the same artstyle and appear to be manufactured by the same people.

Having both all different would make the game look like a complete mess, like those games that had you "acquire some alien gun" during single player, and then you have them in MP too, and you run around with some alien guns and some "normal futuristic" guns, it just looks tragic to me.

As far as art direction for weapons, players etc. I'd go for something slightly futuristic but not too much, something balanced, simple, jetpacks and skiing clash with the idea of steampunk I have so I'd rule that style off, and I'd rule "cartoony, comic, stylized" out aswell (think borderlands, brink etc.).

Something that really caught my attention was this style, though I'd go for something less "rigid and geometrical", but the idea is there, all weapons would have 2-3 colors, black, white, and a 3rd color would be sufficent, and they wouldnt be color coded (ala warsow), or just black+white would be good, something not too polaryzing, fairly neutral, the maps and landscape will be the protagonist

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:08 am

80cm wrote:

As far as art direction for weapons, players etc. I'd go for something slightly futuristic but not too much, something balanced, simple, jetpacks and skiing clash with the idea of steampunk I have so I'd rule that style off, and I'd rule "cartoony, comic, stylized" out aswell (think borderlands, brink etc.).

again i'm no pro, but i think you can toy with anything -punk related depending on map settings. You can throw away whatever feels bulky and round to you and replace it with blocky industrial designs with nails/steams and mechanical arms (to reload weapons if you want).
I like the weapons you linked though.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:25 am

80cm wrote:
Having both all different would make the game look like a complete mess, like those games that had you "acquire some alien gun" during single player, and then you have them in MP too, and you run around with some alien guns and some "normal futuristic" guns, it just looks tragic to me.

Something that really caught my attention was this style, though I'd go for something less "rigid and geometrical", but the idea is there, all weapons would have 2-3 colors, black, white, and a 3rd color would be sufficent, and they wouldnt be color coded (ala warsow), or just black+white would be good, something not too polaryzing, fairly neutral, the maps and landscape will be the protagonist

That's close to what I write too. If you mixture the art of the maps, weapons and all the assets around it might feel like someone bought random models and put them together into one game. Imagine a jetpack game with medieval castles, scifi cities, space stations, a battleaxe and a gauss cannon. You have to admit that would be odd.
Also, as I already said, if you go with a stylized visual appeal, it can save a ton of work because it's not extremly important to create a hyper-realistic grade of detailed assets.

80cm's pic is a good example how to get a unified theme into things and there are so many more options.
For example, you could use a style where the diffuse textures don't have too much structure/colour and add the details with normalmaps. So everything would look kinda desaturated. The complete opposite with a comic-like cel shading approach (80cm already mentioned BRINK and Borderlands. Firefall gets into that direction too) would be possible as well. Another interesting thing I imagined is like trying to create two different art styles which match the teams. One with rather edgy, strict geometry and a dark colour grading and the other one features bright highlights on shiny, white surfaced buildings. There are basically infinite possibilites to create something what reduces 3D work, adds a consistent art design and still looks visually interesting.

In my opinion an amazing example for simple but effective game art was Mirror's Edge. All of the assets were really simple, textures were dumped down to basic lines and it still looked awesome due to subtle highlights and the overall feel.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:34 am

my vote is for neo-tokyo:ish design.(not the neonlights and flashy things... just watch some futuristic anime like ghost in the shell or akira and you will see what i mean.)

clean(?)/blocky/round/simple

Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:54 pm

RompeR wrote:
my vote is for neo-tokyo:ish design.(not the neonlights and flashy things... just watch some futuristic anime like ghost in the shell or akira and you will see what i mean.)

clean(?)/blocky/round/simple

you can find a lot of neonlights and dirt in those animes but i see what you mean and i second that. Some aseptic visuals you may like can be found in Portal games, but probably Hawken and NeoTokyo are closer things to what you mean. Mirror's Edge too.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next