View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Content by gOOse 
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: Content by gOOse
OOB Grid Tutorial Video

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:18 am

Awesome thanks. I will study the vid.

Space engine looks pretty intense. I was checking it out while at work, my rig can barely static light a map with brushes on it as is, so... I dont think I could animate a sky from that program within a map. I can take a look and see if some static domes could be generated from it though. What we really need is spherical maps with active directional light like that. That is good stuff. While we are at it how about I load up my havok and take some buddies to a neighboring server/map/planet to own that shiat. My clan owns this map now! *shake it off** My computer is kinda coming up short on intense UDK stuff atm. I think that is why I crash so much. OUT of memory problems.
I does not always say out of memory but borderline memory certainly isnt helping anything.

?? 1. Spawn problems on the map hunh? That sucks.
?? 2. Did you have to delete the large mesh foundation on the base or did it not make it into the package some how?

I know its a low tech map but I hope it can at least add a little bit to the progress of the game. It certainly has taught me allot :)

Even though Ashes is not done/polished I need to move on to new planets. I/we will get back to it, of course it goes without saying you can do or add whatever you want to it. Its yours Ignorance \o/ Merry Christmas! \o/ lol.

I gota get this base thing working good.
P.s. My writing style sucks bad, never bothered with it much so Thanks for putting up with my literary genius. :oops:

Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:46 am

Say no to dynamic directional lights. Hardware isn't good enough for widespread support. One thing you might do is have a sky that spins centered around the dominant light.

Space engine isn't too hard. You can output cube maps and use them for textures. I've been working incorporating space engine skys for a while now.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:52 am

Ok Ill download spaaaAACe engine and check it out. I whipped up some work on a base that has been bouncing around in my head.

Those are little glass rooms with walk way/platforms in the hub area. The rooms and doorways are 256unrealunits (or 16 real inches in cad) Very preliminary concept work.

I really need to figure out how to get large static shells textured nicely. I could slice this up and make tabs/places to align them back up in the editor. This way I can control the textures in blender better without huge texture files that are washed out anyway. That seems like such a crappy way though. I need better tools. This is what I will be working on. I gota get some nice stuff in game for bases the squares/rectangles/cylinders are getting old already and I only made one crappy base so far.

Edit: Or if I had brush skills that could make stuff like this fast. Or could convert to brush/wrap a brush on to it. God I dont know but I have looked and looked. If someone knows how to do this please let me know.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:31 am

Answering your question about the base mesh, I haven't deleted anything other than the original spawn points.

If you imported or modified any assets for the map, you'll want to create a package for those assets and distribute them as well. For the sake of order, I suggest naming any asset packages either after the map they apply to, or use your forum user name.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Well Im sorry to hear that. It was a pain to get those into the map from the base building map. Looks like I have tons of work to do on Ashes still. I will have to change the way I go about it. I have gone around and around on this brushes/meshes thing and I just dont currently see around the fact the only way to control textures on large structures is with brushes. Once the brush skills are up to snuff what the hell would you need any meshes for? Convert to static when done .. presto. So I am going to work on brush skills, its the only way. Facepalm** So tedious.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:03 pm

Just think of it as a process of discovery; like trying to find 1000 uses for a paperclip. I too know it can be tedious, just remember that brushes aren't meant for extreme detail. One easy way to spruce up any map is to load up older UDK versions, and pull the assets over. At this point, there isn't really any reason not to use the Unreal map meshes, and they look damn nice.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:26 pm

I know. All the pipes and tubes and stuff do look damn nice. They just all have that "gota be cool" skulls and fire kinda look. You know what I mean typical unreal tournament look. Huge boots with over the top tough voices. 62 different blood spatters and just over the top tough.
*sigh*
The tough part about using those things is getting them to blend in. They "fit in" littered across the ground with nice tribes bases floating in the air. :)
I have a long way to go.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:59 pm

So... did some soul searching at work and came up with some brush techniques I wanted to try out. Rushed home and came up with this. Its my best brush work so far. 30 stories high with glass windows best of all total control over the textures. You'll say "and those are the textures you came up with" :lol: YUP so far that is it. It is the sexiest shell from me to date. Very intensive brush to make but very rewarding to admire the smooth curves mmmm curvey. 8-)

Nice textures with shaders, looking good up close and looking good from a distance. The black dot is a disk of doom splosion decal.

Tis good ya?

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:42 am

The glass is just a UT broken glass texture and its a little busy for my taste. Ill make a simple blue tint clear glass later. Simple unbroken glass wouldnt be cool enough for UT see. It has to be broken with blood on it or its just not going to cut it with the xbox generation.

:roll:

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next