View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Content by gOOse 

Post Content by gOOse
Hi Ignorance.

Great Project. I am here do my part Terrain/Bases/maps and I think I read somewhere that you just want one thread per artist? So I think this will be the thread for all my future content. When I say "my" content I mean yours of course. ANYthing posted in this thread by me is available for ANYONE within this project to do whatever they want with.

Of course right now there is nothing because Im still trying to figure out udk versions/how to open the editor in pff test03 and the model format conversion tools. I would prefer to model with the 3dm format and convert that to ...fbx is it?

So I know this doesnt inspire tons of confidence in my skills but can someone help me open test03 in the editor? It is crashing the version I have and I think its to new. I think I read that you need the 07 version, is this correct? Where/how do you down grade. OR where/how do I open the editor in game. That is my first step then I will work on models/format/converters.

I know it makes one wonder what kind of content could this guy produce if he cant even open the editor. :lol: I know I know.. I will produce good stuff I promise.

gOOse.

Edit: I forgot I wanted to mention that I like the size of the test03 map. The size of the hills/the oob grid is passable with the terrain tile size not feeling like your in a box. The jets/speed feel pretty good. The "floaty" feel feels pretty good. All of this stuff is very subtle and I feel like you have a good sense of how it should feel. I remember reading some comments from Ignorance about map size/hill size/floaty feel and for the first time I thought you know this guy gets it. Most people just stretch or scale the map to make it feel bigger but it can ruin the "feeling" of speed even though you may be going just as fast if not faster. It can feel slower without the right stuff/obstacles/varied terrain or rough spots. So I just wanted to say well done on getting the "feel" right in the zone as a first step. This is huge because all the development/new maps will have to be based on this "feel" or they will feel wrong. WTG!

Edit: Found the "may udk build" thread. Looking into it.

Last edited by GTWgOOse on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:22 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: This is my content thread (gOOse)
The most recent source code works with the July 2012 UDK build. If you visit Yankee's thread, you can download the test03 files. I don't know if your trying to use the cooked file included with the demo release, or are using the uncooked version; the cooked version might not open in the editor.

http://projectfreefall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=450#p450

You don't have to do one thread for all your stuff, but it would be a good idea just to show what your working on. If you make a map, once you want feedback on it, I suggest making a thread for the map itself; that way the thread can remain focused.

As for modelling, google will be your best friend. 3DS files can be directly imported, other formats will likely have to be converted.

Until I release the source code including the most recent movement code, I would suggest against spending too much time on optimizing a map for movement; the available source code includes some fairly floaty jetpack behavior. If you want to pretend you have the current code, make sure to stop jetting when out of energy, and pretend that air control doesn't exists; that will pretty well simulate the movement changes I've been working on.

Always great when someone new takes interest in making some content.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Very helpful. Thank you.
gOOse.

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:07 pm

So I had the afternoon off and finally got pff working in the editor. \o/ I now have some purple molehills to work with.
Ignorance if you could find some time to upload that test03 somewhere that would be super.
I just had to post that its working because I know everyone was just loosing sleep wondering if I could get it going.
Rest easy everyone.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:50 am

Will drop a link here once it's up. Enjoying a few crazy days at the moment...

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:49 am

Great thanks.

Here is a useful link I found today. Its a little stand alone file converter that is taking my 3ds files and converting them to fbx. Im just starting to mess around with it so Im not exactly writing any tutorials yet but hey...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775855 Its on the autodesk site, scroll down past the plug-ins and there are stand alone versions.

FBX 2013.3 Converter for Windows (exe - 26335Kb) thats the 32bit windows I used but there are other flavors.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:28 pm

GTWgOOse wrote:
Great thanks.

Here is a useful link I found today.

Why are you using .fbx? If you use 3ds you can just export meshes as .ase and they will import fine, no?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:57 am

Well.. the program I am using is actually 3dM then I export as 3ds and It doesnt have an .ase option. Its not working great yet. I am glad to get something into the editor but I am having problems with applying textures to it. The poly's are showing up in the shadow areas and the textures are just one color. I dont know if its a texture scale issue and I havent figured out how to select a single surface and scale the texture yet.

Problems Im still trying to work out:

1: heightmap format/import. This is not like before (for me) and I may have to get more stupid tools to make files. g16, raw ect.
2: Terrain alpha textures using files like heightmaps. Same thing for deco layers.
3: I have to figure out the mesh issue or get other tools.

Getting frustrated.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Ok, finally uploading the map...link in a couple...seriously cannot wait for Mega to come back...

If you have access to photoshop, it can manipulate 16bit height maps as bitmap images.

Not sure what you mean by "Terrain alpha textures", a few things come to mind... Might be able to help if you can better specify.

80 is right about ase importing. You can also use blender either for modelling, or just as a middle man. Unfortunately I can't help too much with the modelling side since I really haven't done much.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:54 pm

Hey thanks for working on the link. I was going to use that map as a starting point. Then paint the snow because the hand painting drives me nuts to see. What I mean by "alpha texture on terrain " is: Take snow for example its a perfect example. The heightmap has all the highest points covered in white. This graduates down the slope. If you use this "alpha texture" to paint the snow texture with alpha enabled it makes a nice looking gradual texture by altitude. Of course you can invert it in a paint program and get the low spots too. You can use the threshold settings in the paint program to set say ... shore line sand, like a band only covering say 100ft through 120ft or whatever. Thats all fine and dandy and works great to make realistic painted terrains without trying to hand paint them. They allways look hand painted when done that way. Trust me.
BUT there is another great trick of mine where I use the light source down low on the map to create long shadows on the terrain. Then you paint it with solid snow and light it. Then in the editor you zoom out and go straight above the center of the map and take a screenshot of that. Then you take that into the paint program and make a heightmap/alpha texture from that. Import it. Then you can use that to paint only one side of every hill. This is great for putting snow in every shadow while the rock bakes in the sun, without cheesy hand painting. Thats what I want to do to test03 for ya. That way all your test vids will look ALOT cooler.

Anyway Im still trying to get the mechanics of it all worked out..materials/specular/alpha/heightmaps ect...
I know this map has ZERO "art" to it but this is what I have so far. Just trying to get the work flow down the "artsie fartsie :" part will come later.

Just wanted to post that pic to let you know that I am crunching away on learning this editor for the benefit of PFF.
gOOse.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next