View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Out of Bounds Grids 

Post Out of Bounds Grids
Does anyone have any solutions for out of bounds grids?

I made a really hacky grid out of translucent BSP in my level and it makes the map feel way more finished and like a real thing. I would like a better option though. Someone should make a model or figure out the best way to do it. My BSP walls suck because they block weapons, are visible at all distances, etc.

-Would be nice to have at least 2 types. One that forces the flag to drop but lets players and weapons through and one that blocks the player or maybe even kills them. The first type would be yellow and would prevent people from rabbiting flags too far in CTF and the second one would be red and would prevent people from seeing the edges and escaping the map. Colors could be different but should tell you the amount of danger they pose. I tried white and it looked really nice.

-They should fade in when you get to a certain distance. It would be best if they faded in sooner if you were going faster so you have time to avoid them. If it's just culling distance the entire actor will pop in which will be ugly so we need to figure out how to only show part of the grid within a certain distance of you.

-Optional third type would be a bouncy grid useful in arena or rabbit or death match type of games. It's really fun to run away from an enemy, bounce off the wall in various directions and head back at him or past him like wrestlers bouncing off a wrestling wring.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:45 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: Out of Bounds Grids
The method used for OOB grids in UDK should still work exactly as before. A solid wall OOB grid and non colliding oob grid are strait forward to put in, a volume that causes players to drop things will have to be implemented.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:12 pm

I guess OOB grids will be inevitable in some designs, but I'd like to see more natural ways of setting boundaries that don't make you feel like you're inside a holodeck. Maybe implement some special volumes, for example a ceiling volume which disables jetpacks for the icarus effect, or something akin to the "radiation zones" in Oblivion. I think maps that are naturally walled in with a soft flight ceiling would be the most aesthetically pleasing.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:08 am

I would rather avoid using OOB grids as well. I personally see no reason for OOB grids, at least no reason that anything should prevent the player from going off the map. Worst that happens is that they die normally. An argument can be made that OOB grids curb undesirable gameplay, but that's something I feel would be better addressed through changes in gametype behavior.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:36 am

I think you might have a natural mechanic in place already. I was skiing on the landscape map and felt like it was really hard to do anything except hurl myself down a slope with little control over which way I went, but then I turned on the infinite jets and it was so much better. It felt truly free, yet not really overpowered. I found that I couldn't sustain speed in the air at all, mostly just slowed down and hovered when abusing jets too much, and there's something I really like about that.

What do you think of infinite jets with the icarus effect, then use the energy pool for utilities only? Then you can fine tune and create specializations in movement with different packs or whatever that let you dash, dive, bounce, etc. In a fps-z game, hovering on the ceiling is just as bad as walking on the ground, so there might be some natural balance indoors as well as outdoors.

Last edited by Skeptic on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:29 am

Having a guy rabbit throughout the entire map without an OOB wouldn't be fun at all. Even those who rabbit in games with OOB grids are just annoying. It's mainly used to keep the flag carrier in check. While I personally prefer having a soft OOB over hard, it's not without its faults. If we're using Tribes 1 as an example, it did things generally well. If you passed through the grid with the flag, you had 3 seconds to get your ass back in play or the flag returned to the stand. If you died while OOB with the flag, you couldn't pick it back up; only the team whose flag is OOB could interact with it (return it).

However, this can lead to trollish behaviors that are still seen in T1 to this day (though somewhat rare). Basically, a player can grab the flag at high speeds, pass through the OOB, and suicide. The sends the flag flying way the hell pass the OOB, making it difficult to find depending on the terrain. One possible solution to this is if a player suicides before reaching the OOB grid, it simply bounces off the grid instead of passing through it, keeping it in play. If he suicides past the OOB you can either have it simply not carry his momentum or have it return to stand immediately/x seconds. It's a decent solution to get rid of those who troll and send the flag flying pass the grid. It only targets those who intentionally suicide with the flag.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:33 am

Well I'm talking more about walling in the map with the map, not an artificial box. Mountains, oceans, large structures and the like. Then if you implement an altitude cap on jets, you've pretty much contained everything.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:44 am

@Fixious - Both situations can be better addressed by dissecting how the gametype handles things. For CTF I have plans to test something of a 'radioactive flag' to prevent rabbiting. I figure, give someone a time limit for holding, and it's better for everyone. The idea may not work, but with code modifications there are many more options. An OOB grid can make sense, normally as an interesting map design, but I would like to avoid OOB grids being default on maps.

@Skeptic - Caps are something I would like to avoid. A long term goal of mine is to expand what is possible with maps. Caps kinda go counter to the idea. However, as interesting map additions they can be fun. For instance, I have plans to add in volumes that can be used to enable infinite energy, disable energy, disable jetpacks, etc. Specifically, I think disabling jetpacks with a volume could be fun as hell. I'm envisioning a map where the run up to a flag stand involves launching through a large area where jetpacks are disabled. I'm thinking it would produce some amusing angry birds like gameplay, especially if the flag was surrounded by lava.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:16 am

Lol angry birds Lol

The best way to avoid out of bounds grid is Ignorances old idea of single point gravity and spherical terrains. Now you load up moons and small planets instead of "maps".

Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:26 am

That sounds pretty sick, but these planet maps would have to be super massive in order to have any semblance of a landscape.

As for the icarus thing, don't think of it as a cap, it is just a gentler way to enforce a vertical boundary. An OOB ceiling is essentially a hard cap on altitude, you'd just be replacing that with a mechanic that requires less suspension of disbelief. Think of the "icing problem" from the first Iron Man movie. The infinite jets already seem self-balancing, since abusing them leaves you vulnerable and you still have to use the terrain to travel effectively.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next