View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Gorthaur's Maps 
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: Gorthaur's Maps
Seeing as you two are discussing map mirroring and the pros / cons... A goal of mine is to design better gametypes that nullify map geometry advantage. Mirrored or not, do what you like. I like that the two of you seem to want to do different things because variety is what's going to win out in the end.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:11 am

Yay people are talking in my thread! Where is a smiley when I need one?

I was thinking of pumping out a bunch of asymmetrical terrains and then having people just test the dickens out of them. Most of them won't stick but a few might be really cool. Also I was thinking Greth could help me mirroring stuff if that looks like it is the best route for certain maps. For example, some maps may work great as asymmetrical and a few others will be really cool but terribly unbalanced. The unbalanced ones Greth can help me make them symmetrical we we can hand edit them a bunch to make them better.

Does anyone have any experience with Unreal 4 lighting and materials? I am having some trouble with my trees. I had to set their specular down to zero otherwise their foliage looks all waxy and terrible and I had to turn off bounce lighting on them because the tree trunks were being turned green and had horrible artifacts from reflecting the green foliage. Also my specularity on my rock textures on the terrain is disappearing when I rebuild lighting. I only have one guess that the shadows casted by the terrain are covering the shiny bits of the rock textures. Will try with it turned off.

Also is anyone experienced with creating skies? I'm doing cheap rip offs of the old UDK skies but as a result they look last-gen. I want high resolution skies with multiple cloud layers but I hate setting up super complex materials and don't even know how to do it properly.

Also does anyone know how to get better looking shadows? I want my trees and ferns to have really detailed shadows but they are just blurry blobs after rebuilding. I'd even settle for faking shadows with light functions if necessary. (projecting fake shadow textures)

Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:02 am

Gorthaur I was hoping to start messing around with u4 and help you out with little work arounds for the crap that comes up but.. U4 wont run on this old rig. PFF runs great but the engine/editor wont install. Ill have to wait until I upgrade before I can do much.

Be sure to check it in game if you havent, because you know how the distance fog would leave those gradient lines on the terrain while in udk editor? It might just be place holding your tree shaders, so to speak. I dont know though because I cant install it.

Ill be lurking in the shadows.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:54 pm

What are your system specs?

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:45 pm

OMG the shame.. *hides*

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.130707-1535)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
System Model: 132-CK-NF78
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 2540MB used, 2671MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS 512
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0600&SUBSYS_C8423842&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1266 MB
Dedicated Memory: 499 MB
Shared Memory: 767 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 9.18.0013.1422 (English)
DDI Version: 10
BGRA Supported: Yes

Upgrade has been needed for quite awhile. This is why I was so happy to report how good the performance/appearance is for the lastest tech release. It shows it working on a pretty low end computer. So happy that I forgot I cant even run production lighting builds on UDK. What was I thinking, I bought and downloaded U4 only to be reminded my computer is like 120 years old in computer years.
Embarrassing.. but thats it.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:21 am

Your box isn't too far off being able to run UE4. More ram will do it. Video card isn't the greatest, but should be able to run the editor. How much ram can you put in your box and what kind does it take(DDR2?, DDR3?). Your current setup only has ~1300MB ram for the OS, to boot the Unreal 4 editor, 4GB should be plenty.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:44 am

Although I'm currently building a new machine, I'm running UE4 on a machine that comparable, except for the 4 GB. I also have a same generation AMD gfx card.

So yeah, you won't be doing any heavy particle effects, but you can certainly flesh out the basics.

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:23 am

I tried adding ram when I was making the Ashes map. UDK kept crashing, I couldnt build lighting, and I couldnt make huge Gcode files for the cnc. It was really a pain in the ass to have a system that "barely" could pull it off. When I added some ram It wouldnt show up on the system. I cant remember what was holding it at 2Gigs of ram but it wouldnt not recognize anything over 2gigs and It actually slowed my system down.

Its 32bit and the install said "your processor is not supported" so the lack of ram is not the only thing holding it up. Maybe "your processor is not supported" is just a generic message, but I need a new computer plain and simple.
Thanks though.

Gorthaur, sorry to jack up your thread with my ugly pics and comp talk.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4