View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Gorthaur's Maps 
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: Gorthaur's Maps
With the latest UDK build, mouse issues were limited to playing through the editor. When maps were loaded through UDK Game I don't remember anyone having issue. If running through the game doesn't solve your mouse issues I suggest binding the jetpack to the keyboard.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Tue May 06, 2014 12:11 am

I'm still in UDK.

I played in the game instead of the editor and I also bound the jetpack to the keyboard but I am still having the same problem.

It seems to happen when I am skiing fast. For example I can bounce around slowly and use the jetpack fine when not skiing. Once I get up some speed while skiing my jets will cut off however. I can see on the hud that the jet button is still pressed but my energy consumption goes down to zero and I stay stuck to the ground skiing. Maybe this is some feature of freefall that I don't know about?

How do you get up and running in UE4?

Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:06 am
Project Free Fall Developer

At the moment, getting started in Unreal 4 involves subscribing to get the editor, then following steps to recompile the game code. Might be about to redistribute the editor, but I'm not sure, have to check the license; if I can, I'll start uploading the editor when I do dev builds.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Got the free version World machine downloaded and installed. Just messing around with it now. I have my pen and paper and Im ready to take notes.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:15 pm

The free World Machine only let's you export 513 res terrain, right now I'm using mostly 1009 for smallish fast paced maps and I'm starting to look into 2017 for larger maps and more detail.

Take a look at Terresculptor which I've used for a lot of fixing of my terrain after I've hand drawn the initial heightmap. It has some generating capacity as well, but maybe not as 'realistic' as WM. Although I don't know if that should be a goal for us and a lot can be done through materials as well.

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Yea I did read that about the free version. First thing I wanted to try was sending the world project files to gorthaur and see if he can output larger res versions. If not its not that much $$. The retro style maps are not going to sit well with me. The days of push/pull hand painted terrains has pasted. Now if the whole art style was in line with that (like team fortress 2) I guess its fine. Bad ass shader dudes standing on my little pony looking terrain? The grassy knoll type maps from the past need to stay in the past IMHO. They match those games/hardware/performance of the time, times have changed.

This discussion has raged on for years and I think it comes down to two simple things:
Those that adapt their game play to each map. --This leads to replayabilty and variety.
Those that want each map to adapt to their game play or their "perception of how" it should be played by all. -- This leads to a similar match over and over but now the map is green instead of brown.

Make the game hard. Terrain is a huge tool to do this. Yes totally unskiable spikes is not fun to ski but loading up a gunship to get back and forth is, then its a new map and new gameplay. Underwater maps? No "routes" but caps still happen.
Im really not into the "e-sports" mentality of mirrored maps, this item no further from that item and planed routes with overly smoothed landings built in. Thats just personal opinion though and I see that. I think the Retro maps WILL come it cant be stopped but it would be nice to get the "look" at least up into the 2008 era.

Im checking out your link right now.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:26 pm

One more thing Greth... I did want to thank you for your dedication to PFF. It pulled me through the engine swap/losing all my work.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 pm

Before we crosspost let me say that the pics on the link site show a good level of realism and playability.

http://www.lilchips.com/gallery.htm

The two pics on the bottom show the right stuff.

Edit: So in other words.. I see what you mean.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:00 pm

Hey, that means a lot. Once I get started on a thing like this I go through to the end. A flaw sometimes, I've had to turn off the lights at most of my little schemes and plans, but so far my clamping onto this one has been for the good, - at any time I become a nuisance do tell me Ignorance. I won't go away, but I'll be considerably quieter and spam less on skype ;)

Any thanks go to Ignorance as far as I'm concerned anyway. He's the nut that kept going with this in the first place - WHILE having to deal with me.

Anyway; I agree we need to make it as realistic as we can, which is quite something in UE4. In terms of relying solely on generated maps ... Eh ...

http://puu.sh/br8iD/2c938bf66b.jpg
http://puu.sh/bhwdv/b6c4f709b1.jpg

Both these images are based off of hand drawn terrain, and then mangled by terresculptor and WM. So I agree with going with realism in that respect, but I'd like to leave the randomness to the artistic process rather than the computer. Even if little of the original concept remains in the end. I quite enjoy the 'zen' moment of the drawing.

In terms of mirroring terrain ... I'll agree that non mirrored terrain can work, even for competition. But the ratio of competitively viable asymmetrical maps is much lower than mirrored ones (Note I'm not saying anything about pub viability or general 'fun' factor no issue there for me). And I fully understand we're going for all levels of skill, but pubs can be played just as well on comp ready maps than others. Also, a pub player might not even notice the mirror (I'm a fan of a diagonal radial mirror - It's hard even for me to notice the symmetry in certain locations).

So I have no problem with there being asymmetrical maps, especially for non CTF gametypes. And I might even make some. But my main focus is to produce as many viable maps as possible and somewhere along the lines find a 'Lost Temple' map that becomes the focus example for good competition.

Thing is, both you and Gort will probably make quite a few of your kind of map, and I'll make my assumed hardcore stuff. And I think it'll balance out.
Terrains will be plentiful - it's the base layouts we might have a fight over :P

In the end, we'll ship with 50 maps and let the players sort out the schizophrenia :P

PS: CHRIST MAN! THERE IS AN EDIT BUTTON! :D

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:10 pm

I like those points.

I should say that I have very little "comp" experience, ok none. So I appreciate what your saying.
50 maps!
Now your talking.
If we get 50 rolling I dont care if one has big rainbows and candies in the sky, so skies the limit. <--see what I did there..

Edit: :P

Edit again:

Thats some cool push button atmosphere. Just checking things out you know, but that would be a kick ass minotaur type map.

Kinda cool.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next