View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Call to action for 3D artists: Prefab bases and stands 

Post Call to action for 3D artists: Prefab bases and stands
Hey guys. I'd like to have a sitdown with any other mappers / 3D artists out there to make a set of 2-3 prefab stands and base buildings that we can plop down on heightmaps for rapid terrain testing. Once the movement is in a workable state I'd like to churn out as many concepts as I can.

I'm going to try to iterate my way into a good terrain and then later combine them with more special base designs - which will adhere to a different set of rules.

All these buildings should be placed on top of the map. No extensive tunnelling. I'll allow the spawn and base to be partially subterranean but it shouldn't be part of base functionality.

Again, this 'exercise' is part of terrain design. Intricate bases will come later.

- Base and spawn separate on the map
- Base and spawn connected
- Base single entrance
- Base Multiple entrance
- Open stand
- Closed stand
- Closed stand cluster - No way to take the flag at speed.

For now, keep things as vanilla as possible. These buildings need to be simple and versatile so they can be used on more than one map.
My Netarah-like experimentations run separate from this line of builds.

For now, you can use Sokot as baseline terrain. I'll add more as I make it.

Sokot:
http://imgur.com/a/k64ks
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0q838sd9d9y2t2f/Sokot2.r16

Feel free to use the more experimental terrain as well. But it might end up being weird.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9mqdcr5dtbetsf/Netarah.r16
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtfgx0sfg847mbs/Elegy.r16
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdosgo86a8i2g ... nitic1.r16

When the conversation starts (and I make some examples myself) we'll try to organise a talk.

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Post Re: Call to action for 3D artists: Prefab bases and stands
The call for prefabs made me have a random idea - deployable everything. Not necessarily in function, but visually. Basically bases would be composed of mobile hardware that looks to have been deployed as if from an orbiting ship or rolled in on wheels/treads and anchored. This way on every map it looks like both teams came out to whichever location and set up shop, requires less suspension of disbelief compared to the way tribes maps are designed.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:57 pm

A similar idea was thrown around on reddit as well by Greth (http://www.reddit.com/r/fpsz/comments/1 ... le/ccthrtt). This sounds familiar to anyone who ventured into modded servers in T1. Here's a quick video I put together showing off how they worked. There's a larger airbase available in the Renegades mod, but unfortunately I didn't see any servers up with that mod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjqJl1G_ ... be&list=UL

Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:53 pm

i dont like the "deployed from orbit" cuase it limits everything to bases/assets in sizes imagineable. Id rather have the base being setup in old buildings(assets look more mobile), giving the impression the building wasnt built for the purpose it is being used for right now.

but sure it all depends on game mode and what the mapper has in mind.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Romper, that is exactly what I'm talking about. I said from orbit "or rolled in on wheels/treads". Or whatever. When the military operates in a foreign theater, they establish FOBs entirely with shit they deployed from trucks, same principle applies.

This way maps can be built in any setting without worrying about how the base and assets integrate in the environment. And makes things easier to switch around for different game modes.

A complete set of these assets would make a nice kit that people can build maps with.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:46 am

Holy crap! Activity! :D - I've just finished my week from hell at work so I'll be more active again. I'm sure we can expect a sign of life from Ignorance any day now too.

So yeah, the idea of a fully deployable segmented base is one I want to explore. It would allow for very large maps, allow for them to be asymmetrical and a deployable flagbase could keep the capping role from becoming locked in stale routes.

A short list of possibilities:
Disclaimer: Note that this is a brainstorm. None of this is final or even considered part of the game. It's an exploration of ideas. Nothing more. For these ideas to be viable a lot of discussion needs to happen. We're not even talking about balance or fairness at this point. Don't talk about competitive viability. It's all pub until proven otherwise.

A default base would exist for each team where all these functions would be present as indestructible structures.

• Deployable / Destructible flagbase.
    This one is interesting. It gives a tremendous amount of depth to base destruction. It now becomes tactical to kill a deployed flag instead of killing a carrier, resetting the flag to the default location for instance. Obviously this shouldn't be a low HP building. There should be some criteria to moving a flag, probably only by a heavy and making him very slow or something along those lines. Maybe only move it when the flag is gone or present, tie it to a generator, etc... etc... etc...
    An anti-dick system should also be considered. Probably a commander + voting system.
  • Deployable / Destructible spawn.
    - Everyone carries their own
    or
    - Everyone carries a deployable pack of their choosing
    etc..
  • Deployable / Destructible inventory station.
    In terms of loadouts. The naked spawn issue can be solved by giving players a couple of loadout charges, allowing them to spawn 'in loadout' x times before they would need to 'recharge' at an inventory station. A small concession for making everything blow up.
  • Deployable / Destructible Teleporters and Generator
    Right ... Deployable teleporters can be a really interesting thing. They should be fragile - so tying them to a generator as an additional weakness might work. I'm also in the process of experimenting with fixed teleporters on regular CtF maps.
    Deployable teleporters can add 'phases' to the game, one of exploration and deployment and one of attack. This breaks the need for constant travel, speeding up gameplay after a setup period until enemy offence can 'reset' the advance.
    This works really well in Natural Selection, but an FPSZ in large open terrain would really benefit from this.

I have a lot of ideas based on this in the thread linked on reddit there: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143
(Do check out this thread for other ideas like this)

I like the idea of base 'shells' dotted around the map. Empty buildings (with pickups and weapons inside when the gametype requires it) that could be used as a base. But a team wouldn't be forced to use those.
Obviously those structures would need to be either open or areas inside would need to be blocked from flagbase deployment.

This would also be a cool place to implement my Griever idea:
Quote:
The Griever - Hitscan weapon with roughly the range of the T2 shocklance. On hit, swap HP with the target. Works on allies and foes alike. Possibly a percentage of the armor is also transferred. (Base assets, if included, will be repaired through this weapon, healing a 0% asset will leave you with 1hp). I'm intending the transfer to happen instantly, but I can imagine it being brought back to a Heal over Time for balance reasons.

What does this mean? Allow me to sketch the intended functionality of the weapon through a few examples:
- Enemy attack inside the base, focus down someone 2 on 1, steal HP, get back into the fight. (They can do the same thing).
- Capper coming in with speed, you respawned (slow), give HP to capper and let him be on his way.
- Give health to a player about to get a finishing blow.
- Steal health from a team member because he's a noob.

It's possible to make the griever restricted to an armor class or make it be a map specific pickup. Whatever it takes. I'm thinking in terms of model this weapon looks like the Soul Cube from Doom 3 (when it's firing it has these spiky things coming from it, … Like a victorian steampunk sea urchin from hell that Geiger got his hands on. Shut up it'll be cool).

Getting back on topic, this is why I called for this prefab construction. One for littering new maps quickly with functional bases so we can test the terrain, and two to have these ready to scatter around giant maps.

I'll probably implement this little rant in another thread.

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:57 am

"tremendous amount of depth" is that kind of depth allways a good thing?

I like the idea of being able to destroy certain things but a flagstand is not something that should be possible to destroy unless its a game mode that is made for it and structures are positioned in consideration to being able to destroy them.

For a pure CTF-mode being able to destroy the stand is a no go imo.

** anyway back to the topic.

Since we were on about this "base assets being mobile" could we have light-/medium-*/heavy inventory stations wich would make it possible to make some areas more important than others inside/outside bases.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:30 pm

I'm really not talking about making things actually deployable and destructible, only aesthetically.

Most CTF maps are pretty much made from opposing structures that exist for no reason other than playing CTF. As if two warring factions would actually be able to construct bases that close together. This annoys me, and I think it complicates map making.

In this way you're treating every game mode like a high tech weaponized sport, and both teams are bringing with them all the stuff they need to play a game. The map making process doesn't involve making bases, you make a playing field and then create a FOB for each team using "deployed" assets. The playing field can be anywhere - outdoor terrain, urban areas, ancient ruins, office buildings, playgrounds, tron world, disney land, a pair of aircraft carriers, whatever.

You know, the typical HiRez base turret is a big immobile thing usually mounted atop some boring trapezoid or mysteriously levitating platform. This is my idea of how a turret should be:

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:36 am
Project Free Fall Developer

That turret is bad ass.

For deployment options, they really are limited to the imagination. I like the idea of creating a bunch of different deploy operations. My favorite probably would be tossing a small packed cube or something, then watch it fold to shape. Making things just appear, deploy from orbit, deploy from ground(lol, I'm seeing drills). Anyhow, during my T1 days I saw quite a few cool deploy types and I can't say I disliked a single one. One of the fun things about playing on modded servers was not knowing how anything would deploy of destroy.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Exactly. Remember in the first AVP movie how the predators arrived via orbital drop in those javelin-like pods? I see no reason why that can't be a turret or a sensor.

Although it is not my suggestion here, I am rather fond of the idea of making everything functionally deployable as part of gameplay. Like, starting off with a completely barren map where each team has to deploy their own generator and assets. Sort of "build your own base" every round. This was pretty much how it was in some of those old T1 mods.

Obvious balance challenges here, but lets start with a list of assets:

Generator
Turrets
Barriers
Platforms
Lifts
Catapults
Stations

Gotta run and can't think of more, but that alone would be enough to make a game.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next