View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Deathmatch Maps 

Post Deathmatch Maps
Considering there will be more than one of these I guess I might as well make a topic.

I'm planning several 'standard' deathmatch maps:

- A map based on Morpheus(UT99) - Working title "Somnus"
- A map based on Phobos (UT99) (DM02-Deimos)
- A map based on several maze like Quake maps - ceiling dropdowns and multiple floors leading to a smooth circular route through the map.
- A map based on the Call of Duty 1 map 'Carentan' - Basically a standard shooter setting in a small village with every house having open windows and a few blast holes - interested in seeing how this translates to PFF.

02/09/2013 update: Work in Progress shots of "Somnus"
http://imgur.com/a/J4ldO

16/08/2013 update: Finished Alpha whitebox build of DM02-Deimos:
http://imgur.com/a/bfrhF

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhyz4maulraed ... hPack1.upk
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yor699opp2hq8 ... lpha03.udk

DM-Core. A simple little thing that might just work:

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Last edited by Greth on Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Post Re: Deathmatch Maps
I like it. Definitely keep this one on the workbench.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:38 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

Has some interesting geometry. Rooms are too big, distances too long. The 4 way pipe(2:35) is quite neat. The pipe overhang(3:15) is interesting, you might try opening the bottom of the pipe to better expose the catwalks to danger(not sure of its place relative to the rest of the map though, so might be impossible?).

Proper health and armor pickups are in the works and should be done sometime in the next week or so. To keep things simple, I'd suggest abiding by quake rules when placing pickups: only 1 red and/or mega(if any), couple yellows(three if no red allowed), green armor or shards(not both), ~125-175 total health from packs and vials(don't include mega).

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:04 am

I'm planning to round most of the corners so the overall surface area of the rooms will still be reduced. But if I reduce it too much then it will become impossible to navigate at speed. The Tele > tube > tele > Corner jump I did a couple of times is already a bit bumpy, I'll have to smooth that out so you can make the full circle - although I certainly don't want to make it too easy.
The 'main room' will also have some straight corners plastered with some prisms / slopes to both reduce 'Z' surface area, but not too much.

The size of the main room is a barrier. You can float through it but it makes you very predictable. It might seem going from armour to armour is easy, but it won't be. Also, jetting up from top to bottom is possible in one full jet, but it's better to conserve energy and go through the buildings. You might be able to float all over the place, but there are very few places to land.
It's a calculated risk. Again, this is a test to see if this kind of thing works. I'm already drawing up plans for a more standard quake like map, but as I said in the video I need to get some stuff out of my system first.

I'd like to plan for a little test run of this map once the armour is in place to see what the flow will be like; whether or not I'll implement a ground to top teleporter; although I'd like to keep the idea that once you hit that bowl and have no speed that you're pretty much done for.

The circular holes in the side cell floor and ceiling might be replaced by square slopes going from wall to wall so you can actually get up or down with speed.

In terms of pickups, it's pretty random atm. I'm thinking two yellows where the armours currently are, then a red where the shieldbelt is in the 4 way tube. A mega in the middle core bit where the quad is - or switch mega and red (although I like the red being more hidden).
I'll probably reduce the roof on the cells and place some shards or a health pickup there. The health in the 'overhang pipe' as you call it is 80 in vials, might be best replaced with shards if there is a mega around.

We'll set this up for how the DM is played right now, but it can definitely be converted for 'weapon pickup' mode.

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:17 am

Greth wrote:
Also, jetting up from top to bottom is possible in one full jet, but it's better to conserve energy and go through the buildings. You might be able to float all over the place, but there are very few places to land.

Assume players will be ~50% as efficient at using energy in actual combat. When I look at the vid, everything looks too big for combat jetting.

Greth wrote:
I'm planning to round most of the corners so the overall surface area of the rooms will still be reduced. But if I reduce it too much then it will become impossible to navigate at speed.

Suggest prioritizing shooting geometry first, then movement geometry. Maintaining speed on a deathmatch map likely will always be hard; the small size means that hard direction changes are inevitable. Instead of maintaining speed, maybe explore tricking routes(routes that challenge a players control ability). Being able to navigate a difficult space is just as challenging as maintaining speed, but the space can be small.

Also, for teleporters I suggest keeping them small: 24 unit width, 144 unit length, 192 unit height. That makes a sufficiently small enough teleporter to create a choke point, but is still big enough that hitting it is simple enough.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Ignorance wrote:
Assume players will be ~50% as efficient at using energy in actual combat. When I look at the vid, everything looks too big for combat jetting.

Yeah that's why I consider a player dead in the water if they are on the bottom. I consider it impossible to jet up there in a real situation unless you diskjump once (or twice using a wall).
The combat jetting in the middle would always have to be in function of the pickups or using the outside as a quick shortcut.
I don't want to promote slow 'hover' still gameplay, but I want to give that feeling of openness that you normally don't get in a standard quake map.

Ignorance wrote:
Suggest prioritizing shooting geometry first, then movement geometry. Maintaining speed on a deathmatch map likely will always be hard; the small size means that hard direction changes are inevitable. Instead of maintaining speed, maybe explore tricking routes(routes that challenge a players control ability). Being able to navigate a difficult space is just as challenging as maintaining speed, but the space can be small.

I'd like to see 'travel' and 'combat' as two different things. Like quake (or an NS2 skulk in you will) you can run a route for collecting pickups or getting position on someone. If that speed travel / positioning speed is kept high then the gameplay will be quite unique when that speed can be used in combat as well.
I'll try to make at least one 'loop route' on a map - using a lot of round corners / ramps that can be used to maintain speed 'skatepark style'. I want a certain flow of speed to be present.

Ignorance wrote:
Also, for teleporters I suggest keeping them small: 24 unit width, 144 unit length, 192 unit height. That makes a sufficiently small enough teleporter to create a choke point, but is still big enough that hitting it is simple enough.

They are that big because coming out of that corner it was almost impossible for me to navigate anything smaller.

I've had a good think about this concept, and I'll finish this design to be 'operational' so we at least have something to test. But I'm going to iterate it again so it allows for longer corridors so there are more ways to loop around the map and then 'cross the void' at speed. Making the middle a deadzone that can only be used after gaining acceptable velocity unless you want to hover around for target practice.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Quote:
cross the void

BETTER NOT CROSS ME BITCH

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:06 am

Whoops ... Y-you weren't supposed to know about that...

Quick! Get him back into his cage! Err... Uhm... I mean Artist's Atelier! Yeah I do! Artist's ... Atelier...

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:38 am

Updated OP with DM02-Deimos. Feel free to look at the vid, pics or download the map and view in UDK for some feedback!

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:31 pm

Looks interesting, looks tight. Will give it a play hopefully sometime tonight.

Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next