View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Base in progress 

Post Re: Base in progress
I like the overall layout, got any rendered shots?

Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:33 pm

http://imgur.com/a/dJrFE

I updated the album of the map with some additional images. I loaded it in UDK, but I'm thinking the idea might need to be reworked. I like some of the terrain, but the chasm might need to be smaller and deeper to gain the desired effect without spiking the rest of the map.
There is a strong 'valley' idea here, that some hills will be hard to climb or use for routes, using the valleys will be easier and better. Sort of super llama trenches that don't directly point you in the right direction. I think I'll give the drawing another shot.

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:35 am

Looking good so far, although the symmetry seems a little too apparent. Maybe some giant rocks and cliffs would help break line of sight a little? They would need to be done with static mesh later on, but you can plan and shape where they need to go.

Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:23 pm

I've found that this structure looks rather dramatic with flood lights. Night map maybe?

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:42 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

Let it be known to the public, I am in full favor of a night map.

With the projectile lights, a night map would be awesome.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:49 am

Projectile lights sounds almost awesome enough to make every map a night map, or even indoors with lots of dark corridors.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:51 am
Project Free Fall Developer

Yea, aside from damage indication, corridor fights is a reason I put lights on all projectiles. It looks awesome.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:40 am

I've reworked the heightmap and renamed it 'Sokoth'
http://imgur.com/a/k64ks

Your base would fit well at the side of a hill, having the lower entrance to the base protruding from the base or middle of the hillside.
You can put it somewhere else as well, have a look around the map:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4yxd36ayog0xb ... Alpha1.udk
You'll need this pack for the texture (placeholder, it's the only weightmap oriented one I have right now):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhyz4maulraed ... hPack1.upk

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Both files go in the maps folder?

edit: map just crashes when I try to load it as DM.

I read a piece on Ars Technica about the latest Metro game and how they went for an almost non-existent HUD to make the game more immersive. Perhaps lighting can be used also as a more organic alternative to sensors? For example using spotlights as a defense asset, take them out and they can't see you coming. Just a thought.

I find the concept of a tribes-esque game in a tron-like world quite intriguing.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:58 pm

It's not a playable map yet, you need to open it up in UDK ;)

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next