View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Base in progress 
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: Base in progress
Looking good. I like the close quarters(better splash dueling). Amusing to see a gen room as they are a ways out. Don't be shy about planning for teleporter use.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Well that area won't necessarily be for a generator, but for any kind of asset worth attacking or owning. It could just as easily be a teleporter room. I've always been partial to the idea of having two bases per team in CTF, a main base and an outpost. Since this base won't allow b2f grabs, the outpost could be positioned as an advantageous starting point for side routes, making a teleporter at the main base a high value target.

edit: update on layout

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:07 pm

about the red room skeptic, my thoughts were to make either a "left or right turn corridor" that connects it with the rest so that anyone comming in from the "red entrance" wont be able to skii right into the green room so quickly.

(iam expecting the red room entrance to be in line with the corridor. if not, ignore this.)

maybe you could make the connecting tunnel even larger (a cargo tunnel?).
Most vehicle entrances usually have a little door beside it for pedestrians, so keep the vehicle door closed and the pedestrians door open.
Have one walkway on each side in the tunnel and have 1 door on each side being open, so you have to pass diagonaly over the "cargo-road".

i guess you can keep it straight and the same level if you do something like that. the tunnel could also be a better place for indoor air combat than a small corridor.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:16 pm

Well right now these are just empty volumes of space, and a lot of these concerns will end up being addressed when it is time to deco the interior with things like catwalks, stairs, pillars, crates, etc. The green room is now huge, as this is where much of the indoor combat will take place. The cyan room is where the valuable asset will be, and can be easily shielded from outside spam.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:43 pm

Started roughing out an exterior. This is probably going to change a lot, but it is a start:

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:52 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

Liking the way you enclosed the tubes. Without knowing your final plans for the large platform, it looks a bit big.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:08 am

Yeah, I was in a hurry to get that done and go out to dinner, lol. I've since ditched the pointless enormous foundation and gone with an elevated stand held up by struts, so the entrance to the red room will be on top instead of in front:

And a peek under the terrain at the new green room:

Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:33 am

Created a gen/teleporter room:

Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:34 am

Created the front underground entrance and a little more work on the exterior..

Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:31 am

This is starting to look like something :)

The idea of the underground entrance might be a good fit for the third map I have in mind.
This is the terrain concept (note I'll probably have to redraw it to fit the base as it was a quick idea I jotted down a while ago):

Remember Dark = lower, Light = higher (and yes it looks like a demon face)

The bases would face each other where the rectangles are, they would need to be closer to the cliff than they are right now or the underground entrance would need to be longer so it becomes an opening in the side of the cliff, which would be pretty cool.

I plan on having the cliff be steep enough that you can't jet up unless you diskjump at least once. But the base entrance would be reachable.

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next