View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Base in progress 

Post Base in progress
Here are some very early progress shots of a base I started working on, no specific map idea in mind. I'm starting with the interior and then building the exterior around it. I am modeling the whole thing, the finished base will be a combination of meshes; some with collision and others imported as BSP brushes.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:44 am
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: Base in progress
Looks very cool. Even on it's own that looks like it could be fun to play with.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:35 am

Thanks, this is pretty much just the base entrances, the circular section will drop down into an underground room (for spawn, gens, whatever). The side inside the curve of the corridors is the front, and the back door to that circular section will be a ramp and shaft ascending a tower. The base itself is intended to partially wrap around the flag stand out front.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:54 am
Project Free Fall Developer

Are you working in UDK or another modelling program? If your in another program, it would be cool to break things up into template pieces. UE3 is very efficient at dealing with duplicate models(moreso than a larger single model).

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:07 am

I am doing the modeling in Cinema 4D R13, mostly because it is what I know. When it is done, it will be imported into UDK in pieces and reassembled. Pieces that are UV mapped will be imported as static mesh with collision geometry, and pieces that use tiled textures will be imported as brushes and created with BSP.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:59 am

More progress shots to hint at the scale of it:

Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:24 pm

Wanted to roughly lay out the interior rooms of the base and get a better idea of where I'm going with it. The base is being designed to embed in the side of a mountain or hill. The purple platform is intended to be the flag stand, and part of the exterior of the structure. The blue room will be part of a protrusion overlooking the stand. The red/green/cyan are all underground, with the red room providing another entrance.

Haven't decided on the purpose of each area yet, but so far I'm thinking:

blue: spawn area
cyan: gen room
red: hangar

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:10 pm

if cyan is the gen-room. wont the gen be spammable from the red room?
maybe have some kind of bend in the tunnel so it wont have an easy access to it.

possibly 2(drop down)entrances to the green room to make it harder to camp the base down there?.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:02 am

This'll be a bit silly coming from me, but right now I think the interior could use some scaling up. I think the ceiling should at least be raised a bit. Three times the size of the player model should be fine. Not only for general movement but also for helping out in dodging explosives.

Other than that I think it looks fantastic. I can definitely see this kind of design work for the new base I have in mind for Elegy/Zubis. After my wacko idea for Netarah cashes and burns :)

For that map I had the idea for this flag stand: http://i.imgur.com/6AEfF66.png

If the subterranean part was to be reversed the red part could connect to the entrance at the top of the hill. http://i.imgur.com/4V8J9Dhh.jpg (note you can see the stand on this picture, it's a bit too big).
This would be a substantial drop still, but could be pretty cool, maybe with a pickup / armor room at the middle.

The spawn point of the map could use the same construction.

Food for thought so far, I'm still not very sure about the direction of Elegy so far. But this is part of the creative process I guess.

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:07 am

I share your concerns Greth, that is why we rough things out first lol. And Netarah won't crash and burn, it is going to be epic.

As it is now, if the blue room is used as a spawn area then it doesn't need to be so big. I wanted the corridors to be spacious but restrictive enough to prevent room-to-room spamming. I definitely agree that another bottom entrance is in order, but I also want to avoid making it too complex and winding up with extra rooms/corridors that never really get used.

Here are a few more shots to give a better idea of current scale:

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next