View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Base in progress 
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: Base in progress
There are plans for more than a few tron like elements. Depending on shader access we'll see how much visual creativity can be accomplished. I also don't like a cluttered hud, but functionality is my end goal. For a game like metro, hud removal for immersion makes sense. Quite honestly the game could get by without a hud at all if the devs were willing to commit to the extra time it would take(it would be so worth it).

For PFF I want the hud to be absolutely minimal. No plans for complete removal, but for non-crucial elements I'd rather take advantage of alternative presentation such as audio cues, lights, 3d space menus, holographics, shaders, etc.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:52 pm

Tribeslikes don't really need that much HUD. Flag indicators, health, a very minimal crosshair for certain weapons, and ammo are the only ones you need to get everything working smoothly. I liked how the ammo info is all on the weapon itself in T:A, so you don't need a special HUD element to tell you the same information. Everything else is mostly useless once you know how the game works (but useful when just starting out), unless certain elements have gameplay significance (spotting might be such if handled through HUD, I don't even remember how the games handled this).

With the oculus rift coming soonish, and controllers like the hydra being popular among its users, it might be interesting if a tribeslike of the future took some evolved future equivalent of those and made the game playable with no HUD, just what your weapon or vehicle displays, one of many possible solutions for health/jet, perhaps sound based, or a display looking HUD element moving with your non-weapon arm. That would make for some very interesting gameplay. At least if it was taken in the direction required by a VR focus. (that is, not as game-like and hectic as tribeslikes have usually been, especially the awful chaos that is legions).

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:26 am

i would not like to have the indicator on the weapon, cuase id like to have the possibility to hide the weapon.

an option for "tribeslike ammo-indicator" on/off + the weapon indication would be a good solution.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Well the interior of this base has evolved to where I'm happy with the layout, but it will be tough to fit it into a hillside the way I want so I'm now crafting it to sit on (relatively) flat terrain. I'll toss up some more pics soon.

As for huds, it is hard to conceive of a futuristic combat suit that doesn't have one, but I definitely agree that it should be minimalist. I don't know what your limits are with scaleform in UDK, but I'd love to see a low profile hud that exists in 3d space instead of an overlay.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:14 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

Yea, there is pretty good scaleform access, and I plan to use the 3d menu system when I can. Want to experiment with menus in 3d space. The easy example would be for when using stations. Having a menu pop up that's tied to the station itself allows for the interacting player to look around while using. Even for using menus in general, rather than having overlays, it might be worth testing menus that appear in 3d space rather than as an overlay. This is all way down the line, but the ideas are there.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4