View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Inspiration thread. 

Post Inspiration thread.
Right, so considering my mind is consumed by mapping ideas I've started to keep a folder with images and short text snippets that could be used to inspire a map design.

Right now we aren't bound by any set standard or style guide, we need to make them and they can be anything we want as long as the game mechanics still work.

So how about we throw a lot of environments around to create a portfolio. Doesn't really matter if it is doable or not. I want to coax artists and mappers to open up UDK and dabble with an idea they saw here.

I'll update with stuff I find, feel free to do so with your own posts.
So here goes:

This place is wonderful to scout for hill patterns and world ideas

More for the colors rather than anything else. I took this picture myself, it's a shame the perspective doesn't keep; it's a very steep hill (just look at the fence to the right).
I've heard Ignorance talk about a tiny planet world. How about we reverse that? :)

(I'm thinking a sky map, either floating or giant pillars going down into the abyss)

Unless the project gets switched to the Prey engine, I don't see this actually working. But I'd love to just build this room one day - including the frozen statues. I'd make it the flagstand and slowly see the HoF go insane. The flag would be upside down on the ceiling or on a wall of course.

(The stairs will never work, but I just like the style of the building, and it would be a nice homage)

CG gif of mountain erosion.

Quote:
Korea’s Kompsat-2 satellite via the European Space Agency. It's of Africa's Namib Desert. e.g. the oldest desert in the world. The desert stretches over 2,000 km from Angola to South Africa, and sand dunes within it can reach 300 meters tall, or just shy of the Empire State Building.

This could be turned into a heightmap!

Boom (courtesy of Ignorance)

Crossfire 2.0 ?

http://www.kuriositas.com/2011/03/skell ... ry-in.html

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Last edited by Greth on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:26 am, edited 14 times in total.

Sat May 11, 2013 11:22 am
Project Free Fall Developer

Post Re: Inspiration thread.
Greth wrote:

Like the pit. Could serve as an underground entrance on one of the indoor focused maps.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Sun May 12, 2013 7:46 pm

Okay, so the top 'skyhole' picture together together with this:

and this:

Gave me a cool idea.

Perpendicular landscape.

You get a perfectly normal landscape (with high hills and sharp valleys) and turn it 90°. Buildings are also stuck to the landscape but modified slightly to make everything function.
Bases would be side to side (not up and down). Spawns would be at the top. Stands would be open to the top and ready for a long way down.
Indoor play wouldn't be affected too much, apart from all the pickups (including the flag) being stuck to the wall or ceiling.
I'm thinking the Escher picture could help out with the interior design.

Building won't be all that different from a regular map, but CtF might end up being a bit too frustrating, so a DM or TDM could be pretty cool to start off with.

It will be rather vertigo inducing.

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Mon May 13, 2013 9:51 am

Just a quick bump to make everyone notice that I've been updating this one without bumping it for a while.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:34 pm

This could be a terrain indeed. High Resolution Versions
Adding it to my Desert of Death folder...

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:03 pm

For those of you who have given up smoothing edges, have no fear:

Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:03 am

I'm totally making a heightmap out of the sun.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:01 pm

:p

Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:17 pm

hehe. Which map is that?

Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:14 pm

That's from that sun image above. Not the entire sun, but quite a bit of it.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next