View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Concepts and an introduction 

Post Re: Concepts and an introduction

Was supposed to be quick, ended up being 20 minutes. This is a window into what I'm thinking could be done with this map and explains some of the crazy shit that could be done.

It also gave me a chance to think out loud. I'll still be changing a lot.

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:38 am

i was expecting a more horizontal designed base, wich you had to dodge corners and go up instead of down, having to manage your velocity instead of dropping from another high height and gain velocity.

keep testing, but i think you are taking this base too far :P

id like to see skiiable tunnel-systems that have multiple depths, going to the lowest means easier skiing but youll have to pay more energy when you have to get up and out of it.
skiing in a midlevel is trickier but doesnt punish you that much when you got to get out of it.

this system should also have rooms wich joins the systems and allows for the possibility to intersect from any "level".

Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:37 pm

I do think it is a tad ambitious considering the core movement system isn't done yet. Might want to wait until some of that dust settles before building any elaborate indoor systems. There are a number of undecided factors that will affect the way maps should be built:

* Grappler
* Catapults
* Teleporters
* Generators
* Defenses
* Vehicles

Just to name a few..

I think you should start with a very vanilla outdoor CTF map to test the game with, then build around the game that takes shape.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:28 pm

I think asking him to wait for the game to be completed before working on this or other maps is absurd. The developer (by the way, do you prefer Ignorance? Saccaed?) pretty clearly has a direction that he intends for the primary version to go with room for suggested features within the range of that direction and the allowance for modded features that aren't within the range. Sure, Netarah looks pretty big for a ~7v7 pug/scrim/comp CTF map with default settings, but it might work well or it could be really awesome for something else like big chaotic pubs. I think the more work people put into PFF's content, the more the game will benefit. Keep making the maps that you want, Greth; I'm sure at least some of them will be awesome to play on.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:02 am
Project Free Fall Developer

@Ruchn - Ignorance or Saccaed, either is fine. Ignorance is what I've been using for a long time, saccaed is actually available as a name(for twitter and such).

Waiting for the game to finish would be foolish, but so would investing too much time / effort. For any mappers I just recommend roughing out ideas. What works now likely will continue as the game builds, but the absolutes(distances, times) will change. When the game does reach a more finely tuned state, roughed out ideas will just need to be altered to fit the changes.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:17 am

That is all I'm saying, really. The more complicated something is, the harder it is to overhaul. And there will be a need for many maps, so the very first one doesn't have to be so grand.

Ruchn, you took that entirely out of context and painted me all wrong. Please be mindful of the assertions you make.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:42 am

Okay guys, settle down now! :D

The main idea for the drop down is as a movement tool, to delay access to the teleporter. The 'Base' part of it will only be needed for pickups. The teleporters will make things interesting. The terrain will then serve more as a backdrop but can still be used for high speed chases and different styles of play. The spawn too is meant as a quick exit point, but it is accessible by the O, but going up needs to be more difficult.

And yeah, I'm going for an experiment right off the bat. But I have no problem with overhauling it, and it'll be quite easy to do so. I'm still learning my way around UDK and because I've been given to work on something that hasn't been done before (the speed of Q3 defrag + skiing and jetpacks) I think I have to see what kind of map is possible.

Don't worry though, after Netarah is in a rough state I plan on making a more standard DM and a ctf map off of the zubis/elegy concept.

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:40 am

Looks 500x better than anything hirez made

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:58 am

Well Zooster, do you still say that after seeing my intended plan :P

http://imgur.com/a/QJ1G7

Quote:
A1 to A2: Spawn to Middle hill
B1 to B2: Base to East hill
C1 to C2: Spawn to west route.

Z: Spawn to stand.
Y: West route to anywhere.
X: Base interior dropdown
W: Middle to Stand
V: Middle to Enemy Stand
U: East hill to Enemy Stand
T: East hill to Backdoor
S: Route angles

The theory of why this map might work:

Focal Points

Netarah is a big map, but most of the terrain is to be used as a backdrop. Through the help of

teleporters it focuses most of the players in certain zones. A lot of large constructions (the

flagbase dropdown for one) are meant as quick passages. Players will be coralled into areas with

pickups to fight over.

Balance Through Hazard

There are always two options for movement on Netarah. Either over land, or through the base

structures. Choosing the base or land will be equally fast (the base skips over a lot of terrain to

justify the interior route). It will be easier to hide outside amoung the hills, and faster speeds

can be maintained (building up to a route). Inside actual movement will be slower and the option for

pickups will be available. The chance of running into people inside is greater as both O and D use

these passages.

Routes

Cluster play is very easy, to pull off but also easy for the defense to reinforce their chase. (Using A1 to A2) Once a static grab off the stand gets to B2 it gets harder to reinforce for offense.

A standard route cap can be done, the setup route can be done from any angle statically (even using A2 to A1 to use the enemy spawn as a starting point) it's the return route that will be harder and maybe take longer, but if speed is maintained, using the terrain should prove hard for the defence and chasers if areas near the teleporters are avoided.

I agree that this is a high end map right from the start. Don't worry, as 'Elegy' will be a lot simpler.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Sound is low for some reason, but ah well, quick update on what I've been doing with the map.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next