View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Concepts and an introduction 

Post Re: Concepts and an introduction
I haven't waded into the pastel world of normal maps yet, but I've got some free time coming up so I'll be sure to check that out (I knew picking GIMP would give me an edge somehow!).

I've recorded two short videos of me skiing on the terrain that I just textured with my first material (as in, the first one I ever made).

This is Ilysh'Netarah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQq1oKFU6Xk (is there a youtube embed function on the forum?).

The second video didn't process right so I'll update this post later.
Note that these vids are set to be hidden. I don't want this map to land on reddit just yet. So for free fall eyes only.

Remember that this one is meant to be a relatively close quarter / cluster map. But I'm designing these to make everything possible regardless of their main intention. You can't know what a map will become exactly before you have people playing on it.

The first hill I pass over (and the one I use to start on the 'capping' segment) will probably become the spawn.

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:19 am

Nice. Great work.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:11 pm
Project Free Fall Developer

Good stuff. Looks like the terrain is already in a good state. Are you using a landscape or a terrain patch?

I edited your post and added the vid. The flash tag should be enabled for everyone now.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

@Saccaed for updates and randomness...

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Ignorance wrote:
Good stuff. Looks like the terrain is already in a good state. Are you using a landscape or a terrain patch?

Also, no youtube embed to my knowledge.

Definitely landscape. Heightmaps, Weightmaps and Weight terrain layers and a lot of lerping and masking to texture the terrain.

Right now I'm using a texture set I picked up off the net. I just make 'em presentable right now, I'd feel more comfortable if an actual artist took over at one point, I'm pretty obsessive about everything UDK right now, but I saw the video of the Ashes map and I am still WAAAAAAAAY off in my knowledge.

I think the next step for me is to make a base concept to serve as a learning tool for myself.

One thing I'd like to talk about is how these concepts would fit into the current vision for FF. I see a lot of base play being talked about, Zubis could be base centred but Netarah certainly would not be (spawns inside a hill).

I have an idea for a large 'Mansion' style indoor map (very UT) but that's out of my league for now. Then there is a vertical map that takes place on different levels of a giant spire (think Matterhorn) and one with a giant chasm forcing O to take the scenic route.

I know right now pretty much everything goes and you can have a lot of different style maps. But I'd like to make something that doesn't exclude intended gameplay. It's still early days for me yet, I only have vague base ideas for these two.

Also, Goose... You're going to educate me on some of the stuff you pulled off, or at least point me to very specific videos :p

PS ignorance: Looks like only admins can use that tag :)

Greth, much like Lilith, was one of Gods first children. He was subsequently banished from the garden of eden because he kept complaining about the lack of radial symmetry in the heightmap concept of the garden. The placement of the tree of wisdom was also lacking in strategic importance. All historical records featuring Greth, including Bible passages have been expunged since the early 12th century.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:13 pm

...time to explore the admin control panel again...

As for map gameplay. Expect CTF maps to vary widely compared to duel and other gametypes. The intended gameplay is technical; fast, but with a focus on execution rather than absolute speed. When I release an update pay attention to the jetpack changes and compare to previous builds and you'll likely get some feel of what I'm aiming for.

"It's a weird feeling being borderline addicted to gaming and not having anything to play that I can tolerate at the same time." -DejZant

"No longer are you justified saying that an idea in science is not true because it doesn't make sense." -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:38 pm

Try using the flash tag now.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:48 pm

For those interested, this is a Zubis Work In Progress album that I update with stuff I'm working on as I wrestle through my first ever encounter with UDK.
The lower on the album, the older the image some stuff has already been changed. The giant hall you see is going to be the main 'quake' base and is going to be filled up with lots of stuff, so it won't remain all open, but I still want the 'giant hall' feeling to it:
http://imgur.com/a/JdTKQ

This is the map in question (first image here is an overview of where the base is being constructed):
http://imgur.com/a/YsNwZ

Wed May 15, 2013 9:26 am

Just a little heads up on the progress I'm making. I switched to Netarah for the moment as I'm trying to come to grips with proper scaling.
Right now I'm almost done with the spawn and a room that leads to the side of the map, a second exit if you will.

I'm trying a lot of stuff to see what works and what doesn't. None of this is final, and most will probably get reworked as I get better at this.

http://imgur.com/a/QJ1G7

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:17 pm

Am digging those first three shots from Netrarah. Looks like some interesting geometry.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:06 am

that tunnel seems interesting.

I imagine it being a horizontal tunnel "conveyor-force field" and at each end of the tunnel there is a button you have to shoot to activate it.(probably along the way too. making life harder for the cappers trying to use it.)

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next